| chapter forty four. |

Start from the beginning

"I don't play anymore," Udai's answer instantly made Hinata freeze in shock. "I had other things I wanted to do. So I haven't played since graduating high school.  And it's not like I really had any place inviting me to play. Sorry, I guess."

Daichi looked back at the court behind them before looking at Udai again. "Sorry, but we have to go."

"Sure, sure. Win this!!"

○ ♚ ○

If Kageyama were to be honest ―he was always honest, too honest in fact (except with Hinata)― he didn't feel anything particularly bad about playing against Komomedai. He was challenged, but he was also frustrated. He can't sum it up with one word.

Of course, he was pleased to have progressed this far in his first national game. Isn't it incredible to be in the quarterfinals? Especially given their current situation, prior to their battles with Inarizaki and Nekoma. They had managed this far.

However, this match against Komomedai took place on the same day as their match against Nekoma. In conclusion, he was tired. His mind and energy have been drained. But he still has enough strength to fight that school.

Komomedai, according to his upperclassmen and coaches, it is a team that is becoming more visible with each passing year. They're getting stronger and stronger. Kageyama, of course, understands this, having spent a week training with Hoshiumi. So he could assess their team's strength. Well, Kageyama would never underestimate anyone.

Besides Hoshiumi, there was a blocker that coach Ukai had warned them of. Hirugami Sachiro. The strongest middle blocker that can easily block all attacks. He also has a nickname, Hirugami the Immovable.

"They're probably all calling you that now, the 'Immovable Thingymagic'."

"You've already said the word 'Immovable', why not just say the whole thing?"

"Doesn't the word 'Immovable' sound kinda wrong to you guys, like it makes me sound like I can't move... even though I'm pretty quick on my feet," Hirugami turned his head towards the net, and grinned broadly at Hinata. "So that means, no matter how much you guys are darting about in front of us, it's all for nought~"

Ok. He managed to annoy Kageyama. Indeed, if you look closely, Kageyama's enemy is a blocker, not a setter. Because the feels of the toss he gives getting blocked were far more irritating than anything else.

The match continued with him attempting to maintain his composure. Intended for him to be able to provide a consistent and accurate toss. Karasuno lost the first set, which irritated Kageyama, but he couldn't dwell on it. That means he must win the second set in order to play longer.

He would occasionally turn to Yanagi, hoping for some sort of enlightenment or whatever to defeat them. But all he gave was a few words of advice, and Kageyama knew Yanagi had always been watching Komomedai's style of play and trying to break through it.

The second set was won by Karasuno. Of course, Kageyama was overjoyed. But he had a bad feeling in his heart. As if something bad was about to happen. He tried to recall the date, the food he had eaten, the position he had slept in, the time he had played against Nekoma, and finally his cell phone.

Nothing unusual. His nails are also still short and neat. Doesn't bother him at all.

Kageyama expects Yanagi to enter the court as the third set begins, but Coach Ukai hasn't told him to. He had no idea why, but Kageyama simply nodded in agreement.

Hinata collapsed, sitting down on the floor unexpectedly. And the upperclassmen turned to look at him, surprised. There's no way Hinata would suddenly fall, right?

"Huh?" Hinata tried to stand up but fell again. "What?"

"ᴏʜ? ᴡʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ᴛʜɪꜱ? ᴡᴀꜱ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ꜱᴏᴍᴇ ᴋɪɴᴅ ᴏꜰ ᴀᴄᴄɪᴅᴇɴᴛ?"

Daichi and Tanaka walked towards him, about to help. But Kageyama's eyes were fixed on Hinata. Ah, Kageyama understands now...

"He probably has a fever."

"ɪᴛ ᴅᴏᴇꜱɴ'ᴛ ꜱᴇᴇᴍ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ᴀɴ ɪɴᴊᴜʀʏ... ʙᴜᴛ ᴋᴀʀᴀꜱᴜɴᴏ ɪꜱ ᴛᴀᴋɪɴɢ ᴀ ᴛɪᴍᴇᴏᴜᴛ ʜᴇʀᴇ," For a brief moment, everyone in the stadium fell silent as the commentator's voice echoed throughout the venue. Their attention was drawn to Karasuno.

"I didn't think much of it since he had been running around so much, but," Kageyama's voice was cold, and his flat gaze pierced the Karasuno players' hearts. "his hands were abnormally hot."

"What are you talking about?! They were normal!" Hinata snapped, glaring at Kageyama who still looked down on him with a straight gaze. Kiyoko had opened her tool bag next to him and taken out a thermometer. Takeda-sensei also placed his palm directly on Hinata's forehead and gasped at the sensation.

"He's been off since last night. The first night, he couldn't even get out of the bath, but he was so high-strung all yesterday," Kageyama continued. "Normally after a match, he would jump at eating, but he didn't eat or rest after the last match. It's like he's had his switch always on, so it wouldn't be strange for him to run out of energy."

39.1 C

"That's very high."

"But it's not like it hurts anywhere! And I can still move!! I can jump!" he exclaimed, standing up from the bench then gripping the sleeves of Coach Ukai's jacket tightly and desperately shouting again. Managed to make everyone feel squeezed from the tone of his voice "I'm not injured! I'm not injured!!"