Cupid Made A Mistake and Pulled the Trigger

Start from the beginning

Not that it was bad by any means, in fact it was the opposite. It felt good, familiar almost, and that is what scares him. This could definitely be used against him. Take his reputation and drag it to the mud, shatter the image of the perfect king he tries so hard to be. What would the other empires think if word got out? What would his people think of him? What would become of the empire he had spent so much of his life growing and protecting?

He shakes the thoughts away and moves to get dressed.

————

He descends down the stairs, his wings sweeping the stone floor. He shudders at the familiar cold Rivendell breeze, though he does prefer it over the humidity of the swamps.

He walks to the little kitchen this wing of the castle has, praying to Aeor one of his advisors won't find him on the way there, he is very much not ready for a diplomatic talk, not when his legs feel like they would crumble under him at any given moment.

Zehava was arranging his plate at the table already when he arrived. He passes her a small smile and a muttered thanks. She didn't have to do this, she is his Secretary after all, but she's also the closest thing he had for a personal assistant and was the reason his advisers consented to him not having an official one.

She shakes her head fondly, gray eyes glinting with amusement. "Enjoy your food, Your Majesty."

"Thank you," he returned, "and please, Zeva, we've known each other for a century and a half, just call me Scott."

She simply smiles at that, before sitting on the chair next to him and begins eating. He lets out a long-suffering sigh, they've known each other since they were little kids, she's guided him throughout his life ever since his parents died, she's seen him through his worst and best moments and Zeva still insists on formalities. It was a trait that would've been endearing if it wasn't so fucking frustrating, but it was quite hard to stay mad at her.

He gingerly picks on his food: a sunny side up egg with baked potatoes and steamed carrots on the side. He doesn't think he can muster the will to eat right now, not after that.

"Is something bothering you, Your Highness?" Zeva asks, concern laced on her tone.

He pauses, looking at her eyes. Icy blue meeting steel gray. There was that familiar motherly spark she always carries with her, that soft understanding glint contrasted with the harsh cold gray. For a moment, he considers telling her. For a moment, he considers giving in. For a moment, he considers opening his heart out.

But he didn't. No matter how close he and Zeva are, there are some things best left unsaid.

He merely smiles, a pathetic attempt of a genuine one. "Nothing, Zeva, nothing at all."

She doesn't look convinced, but she lets it slide, seemingly sensing it was a topic he would rather not discuss.

They finished their meal in silence, he helps her a little in clearing up before going back to his room.

He still has a dreaded meeting to attend.

Scott wakes up to the sore throbbing along his hips, the morning light shining through his closed eyes, prodding him to wake up. He was shirtless, the familiar cold breeze of Rivendell nowhere to be found. His feathers were ruffled and he felt sticky.

There was something else though. Something–no, someone–has their arms wrapped around his middle, pulling him close to them, chin resting comfortably atop his head.

His eyes fly open, memories of last night flooding his mind. Memories of sloppy kisses and stumbling laughter, of heavy breathes and strained curses, and of a certain blond cod boy that is currently holding him like a teddy bear.