Chapter 11

The sky was lighter outside from the crisp mist from melting snow. The beginning of spring was just ahead, showing the group that it was just another season of hell to live through.

In the distance stood another city with a large wall around it. The sky was dimmed there as well, but patches of sun had broken through the grey clouds. In a ray of light, Julia's eyes caught the sight of a figure walking towards. The figure was slow, perhaps tired, but it wasn't a Cadaverous.

"Do you guys see that?" Julia pointed, with some hope rising in her.

"A human?" Nick gasped. After a few moments of staring in silence, the figure made a form of a woman, wounded, but armed. She was covered in blood and scratches, but had a doubtful look on her face as she looked up so see the three. Addy held her hands up to her chest, wanting to hear good news that her ears have blocked out these past days.

Finally, the woman stopped to face Julia. The two girls looked and examined each other's styles. The woman wore a police uniform, old and ragged. Julia's outfit was scratched, torn, and covered in blood. Instantly, Julia's mind has figured out that this woman has had to only survive for a few weeks or months.

"The city," the woman sighed. "How long has it been infected?"

"Twelve years, and yours?" Julia's jaw clenched.

"Two months, the government sent out the infection just two months ago."

"My name is Julia Anderson; this is Nicholas McIntosh, and Addy."

"My name is Anna." The woman looked to the side, scared, alone, and full of doubt. She has been through betrayal quicker than Julia has. "There is no more hope Julia. All of the cities around us has been infected. That city in the distance," Anna pointed towards the city far about fifty miles. The landscape has been untouched by humans for years, showing only a desert-like landscape. Nothing but dirt and small patches of grass came between the cities which were far apart. "I heard that city was just infected last night by the government. Apparently, a cooperation is settled there, and there may be a way out for us. We have to make our way there and travel with them. Hopefully we can get to them in time."

All of their eyes looked beyond the dirt to see the city, with no wall around it, but just broken roads and a metal fencing.

"What do you say guys, ready to try to escape from this hell?" Julia questioned the group.

"Julia, I'm more than willing to survive in happiness, and fight by your side to there." Nick smiled.

"I second that!" Addy smiled widely, showing her teeth.

"Alright, then let's head out!" Julia smiled back. The group began to walk down the trail of doubt, hoping for a miracle to happen.