53 • something i never thought i'd do • 53

Start from the beginning

"You know you can hug me right? I don't bite and it's not gonna degrade your so called masculinity." I replied, flashing Harry a cheeky smile.

Harry rolled his eyes and smirked at me. "In your dreams." He said and reached out towards me. Yet, Harry didn't try to hug me. Instead, I felt him ruffle my hair.

I let out a laugh and Harry winked at me. It was only then that I noticed Sebastians presence. Sebastian was sat in the arm chair on the other side of my bed. He straightened up slightly when my eyes landed on him. Sebastian kept my gaze as my eyes met his. Yet, he didn't make say anything to me. Instead, his face said it all. At first the corners of his lips threatened a smile. However, Sebastian didn't give into it. His eyebrows rise up slightly as he looked at me, telling me he was unimpressed. His whole disposition laid out the notion that he was wise to this. It was as if he was trying to tell me I told you so.

I felt my shoulders lift up in a shrug when I had understood Sebastian's message. I didn't know what to say to Sebastian out of all people right now. I barely knew what to say at all.

"How are you feeling?" My Mom asked, reclaiming my attention.

My Mom's eyes scanned my body for any sign of pain that wasn't immediately clear, but I was in the kind of pain you couldn't see. Everything felt a lot calmer than before, but it was as if the intensity of every emotion had crashed over me and now it had left me with traces.

"Fine." I replied.

However, I was unconvincing. I tried to sit up, but I ended up wincing. Whatever they had done to help the physical pain, it wasn't enough. It hadn't gone away completely.

"Better. Whatever drug they've put me on, it's helped a lot."

"You don't have to do this, Charlotte." My Mom sighed in a way that told me she could see right through me. "You always do this when you're hurt. You don't need to pretend to be strong. It's okay to admit it hurts." My Mom said.

I looked at her reluctantly as I remembered how I had gotten into this situation in the first place. I remembered Sebastian talking to me as I was in the worst pain I had ever experienced. I remembered talking to Harry. I remembered not being able to cope with the pain. I never wanted to sink that low again. I had even cried in front of them like someone who was incapable of dealing with their problems by themselves. I was sick of leaning on people. I didn't want anyone to see me as weak.

"I'm a lot better than before." I reassured. "It's nowhere near as bad as it was before," I said.

My Mom pursed her lips as if to argue, but luckily for me I heard it the door of my hospital room being opened.

My Mom stepped away from me and turned to see who it was. As she stepped aside, I was given a view of the doorway.

Peter walked in with a tray of coffee's in his hand. Behind him trailed Tommy.

"Charlie! You're awake!" Tommy exclaimed when he lay his eyes on me.

Before I could react, I felt a pair of arms around me. Tommy had thrown his arms around me.

"We were all so worried about you!" Tommy said into my hair as I returned the hug.

The hug hurt, but it was worth the pain. I didn't want to push Tommy away. I was so happy that he was here.

"I'm fine." I tried to reassure. "Honestly."

"It's good to see you awake, kiddo." Peter said, drawing my attention away from Sebastian.

Peter came over to me and ruffled my hair in the same way Harry had done. I gave him a small smile as a comforting feeling washed over me. Peter was genuinely happy to see me awake. He gave me the kindest smile, a clear indicator of his kind nature. It was in this moment I was grateful to Peter in a way I had never been. Here he was showing up for me like a father, despite the way I had previously thrown it back in his face. Unlike my father, Peter stuck around and showed up. I guess I had never properly appreciated that it meant a lot to me that he was there — that he was here right now.