𝐚/𝐧

thank y'all so much for reading "slipping through my fingers". i am going to very honest, i loved this book a whole plenty and this book owns my heart.

now, the moment y'all have been waiting for.. your answers.

facts about this book:

• it all started when i saw a huge fire somewhere. no, i wasn't going to write someone dying in a fire. instead, i thought about tragedy since the plants were burnt and turned into ashes, reminding me of death.

• about two days later, it was really cold so i wore gloves. i was on the bus, it was warm, so i took off my gloves. when i took them off, an idea rapidly came to my mind. (if you've been paying close attention, you'll know which part it's at).  then after school, i told robloweistheloml of what i had in mind.

• the whole plot took me three days to plan, it was too easy.

• this was going to be one of my last books, but.. i watched movies and it's given me loads of ideas.

• so towards the ending, i was going to get doris and steve to fall in love. but, i felt like it would anger people including myself. so i scratched that idea.

• steve was originally going to die instead of willow.

• it took me weeks to find a good title, i wanted to put a nice, sweet song but then i remembered that "slipping through my fingers" is likely the only song that can make me cry, so i had to use it.

• willow died from a severe pneumonia.

• my mom's two near death experiences is what sort of helped me write willow's death.

• so ginger almost had no name. i did not even think of names for every single character in this book. then i was listening to "vogue" by madonna and i heard ginger, i thought it sounded perfect. then for arthur, i thought about the kid's show.

• a bit of "pretty in pink" (1986) inspired the prom thing in the book.

• so i originally was gonna make willow pregnant at 17, but when i thought about her parents, i felt like this was the first book that i ever wrote that made the parents were kind and humorous.

• in the middle of writing this book, i thought about having steve die at the end so that he could see willow. but i decided not to because i did not want margaret to be alone.

• my favorite chapters are: honey, honey and dedicated to the one i love

• though i may have told people that i did not cry when writing/reading willow's death, that was both true and untrue. so, i actually did cry but only when i wrote it.

• i wrote the first chapter at a babysitting job that i had.

• march 2nd was the day my late-aunt died. march 2nd, 2021

• when i thought about naming willow, i was looking at a tree that i actually thought were willow trees. but it turned out to be basic trees that i see everyday.

• i was watching "my girl" (1991) and i started getting new and better ideas for the ending, so i decided to use those ideas.

• i risked my grades in school once again to read articles and hopefully find ideas. but after months, i started to actually do better in school.

• so i decided to make mary somewhat an antagonist because in every friend group, there's always that one friend who's willing to ruin your life. not only did i know from movies, i knew from experience.

• i was originally going to name roger something that'd sound rebellious just like roger's personality, but i thought about roger taylor because i was listening to "radio gaga" by queen and i remember saying "roger sounds cool, why not?"

• this is the first book to be fifteen chapters, have a different plot, and have a different ending compared to my other books.

• the soundtrack was the hard part of this book.

---

again, thank y'all so much for reading this book. though i am very sorry for making people cry.

well, see y'all in "mad about you" soon!! (my sodapop curtis fan fic)

sincerely,

alma

🎉 You've finished reading 𝐬𝐥𝐢𝐩𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐦𝐲 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐬 🎉