Chapter 26// Conflicted

I sent out a message last night so I hope the majority of you guys got the memo about me updating today

Because,

I'm updating today.

Luke's POV

"What's up?" Herbert the Pervert asks, taunting me.

I shoot him a dirty look. "Why are you here?"

"Why are you here?" He counters.

It catches me off guard for a second, and I have to find the words to say. "Uh-to work on our assignment."

"Bullshit," Herbert says in a dismissal tone. He starts to open the car door, but I'm still one step ahead of him. I get there first, slamming the door closed and and pinning him against the metal by his collar.

Pressed under my weight, Herbert narrows his eyes at me. "Damn, boy, have you been working out?"

"Shut your mouth."

"Chill, please. I was just bringing her ice cream." Herbert rolls his eyes. "Why does everyone think I've always got bad intentions?"

"Oh, so you've been bribing her, too? You know how much she likes food!" I protest. And it's true. One time, we went out for lunch and she ate like a whale. (Not that I'm complaining.)

"Then I guess I'll bring her more," Herbert says.

I shove him harder. "Why her, though? Why Jade?"

"I dunno. She's hot. She's single. She's hard to get. And she's sort of desperate."

We hold eye contact for about five seconds before I can clear my head and start to speak again.

"Listen to me," I say, my voice cracking. "Stay away from her, or I'll make sure your dick won't go near another girl, ever again."

A slow smirk finds it's way to Herbert's lips. "That's cool, I like men too," he says.

"I'm serious," I growl. "She's had enough of thirsty dipshits like you and Ashton."

"Me and Ashton?" He bursts into laughter. "Now who's more like him, me, who comforts her and makes sure she feels needed, or you, a mere Ashton-playtoy, the biggest dipshit of us all? To her, I'm a fuck buddy with no strings attached, and girls like me that way. Jade has no reason to hate me. You, however..."

"See, you said it," I say. "She doesn't feel anything for either of us. I backed off, so it's time you should."

"That's not what it looks like to me." Herbert shakes his head. "She did moan your name while I fucked the life out of her last week."

"You motherfu-" 

Out of nowhere, Herbert swings at me, his fist connecting with my jaw. It takes me a second to gather my energy, and then I'm swinging back and for the first time, I find myself in a fist fight.

He punches me once in the gut, and I'm sent flying back, pathetic and bruised at the house of a girl I want to impress.

It makes me so angry and pumped with adrenaline that I race over and attack himin return, throwing all my body weight on top of the self-righteous asshole.

I get in a few more punches and bruises before a feminine voice yells at us to stop, and we are suddenly separated by a third pair of hands. Jade. She quickly pulls us apart, and deliberately stands in front of Herbert, her arms outstretched as if trying to protect him. She's trying to protect him from me.