Chapter 15// Old Flame

One day, just ONE DAY, I will actually edit this whole book....

sigh

...

On Thursday morning, I wake up gasping for air.

Deep breaths, I have to remind myself, over and over. It was only a dream.

"You'll just break my heart, like they all did," I muttered, avoiding Ashton's gaze. Grass tickled my ankles, and it was just starting to get cold. The football field stretched before us like an ocean of grass, and even though I shivered, I never wanted to leave.

Ashton rolled onto his stomach, studying me carefully. "I won't break your heart," he said.

"How can I trust you?"

"Because..." He paused carefully, indulged in his thoughts. Then, wrapping his arms around my neck, Ashton pulled me down on top of him and grinned. "Because, Jade, I love you."

I shake my head furiously, as if it would make me forget the dream. No. Not a dream, really, but a memory...

Ashton kissed me passionately, his hands furiously roaming my body. It was his first confession, the first time he said that he loved me. And I believed it without a doubt. Even though I wanted to savor the romance, even though I wanted a sweet kiss and maybe another 'I love you,' Ashton wanted to skip right ahead. His tongue entered my mouth without permission, he touched my hair, my waist, and pulled at my clothes. But I didn't complain. With Ashton, it was always rushed, and aggressive. Like he could never get enough.

I let my head drop back on the pillow, suddenly exhausted. Then the memories come rushing back. The way I was touched and handled like a piece of meat...First Ashton, Then Logan. Manipulated. Used.

'Didn't you sleep with like 5 guys?' 

...

Nothing feels the same when I go downstairs for breakfast. With the realization that Dad is coming next week, my mom has picked up random hobbies around the house: sewing, flower arranging, reading, art. Now, her eyes never leave her new painting; as I leave for school, she gives me a half-hearted wave. She doesn't even realize that Luke hasn't picked me up or called in two days.

I drive my own car now, with Kiera and Brooke in the backseat.

"He was really good on Tuesday, don't you think, Jade?" Kiera asks out of nowhere, startling me. Untangling the jumble of thoughts in my head, I suddenly realize that I've been blocking out my best friends' conversation. For a good five minutes.

"Huh?" 

"The gig, for 5 Seconds of Summer? We told you we'd be there. Did you see us?" Brooke asks excitedly.

A weight drops in my chest. I feel like a horrible person. Did they say they were going to be there? How could I not remember? How could I be so distant from my best friends? I've been ignoring them, tuning them out, always so focused on my personal life.

"Luke was actually good at singing. That voice! Ugh." Kiera swoons, leaning back on the car seat. "And did you see the guitarist?!!!" She almost screams. Well, looks like her little crush on Luke has faded. Fast.

"The one with the blue hair?" Brooke asks. "He's absolutely scrumptious! I still can't believe you got his number." She gasps, squeezing Kiera's arm.

"Who do you think I am?" Kiera asks, feigning hurt. They burst into a fit of giggles. "Jade, I have to tell you the story. I walked right up to him after the gig, about to lay one on him. Then he turns it around and tells me the cheesiest pick up line ever. It was something like: 'I'll be the Titanic, you be the iceberg...and I'll go down.'" She giggles even more.