Chapter 8

Honeypaw plummeted down with the thrush in her jaws. She knew she had to act fast- the Fernclan leader was watching!

She spun around to face the tree trunk. Having to swim through the rushing wind, she raked her claws down the trunk. As she swiftly slid down, she removed all relief from her face. She thought, If I make it seem like I planned this, maybe Goldstar will think I'm good at hunting.

Eventually, her paws landed on the soft earth. A golden pelt appeared out of a nearby bush, eyes twinkling in approval.
"That was fantastic, Honeypaw!" The leader cheered.

Honeypaw lifted her head up, pride in every aspect of her face. Her green eyes were blazing with joy.

"Not many apprentices catch prey from trees, some warriors haven't touched a branch!" Goldstar chuckled, stepping closer to examine the thrush.

Recieving praise from any warrior was amazing, but praise from the leader felt like a shining light bursting inside of her, emitting an energy she had never felt.

"That's quite a good catch, Honeypaw. Now, let's return to camp." The leader said, flicking her tail to the left. Honeypaw nodded and trotted in that direction, her fresh-kill in her jaws.

-----------

"Not enough herbs... Not enough..." Thrushheart mumbled, tossing herbs behind him. Mothpaw sat anxiously nearby, sorting the tossed herbs into piles.

"Are you both alright?" Honeypaw asked as she padded inside the hollow tree. Thrushheart didn't look up, however, the silver apprentice spoke through a mouthful of herbs. "The gathering is tomorrow and Thrushheart believes Silkeyes will be kitting around that time"

Honeypaw gasped. In the short time she had been in the nursery with the queen, she had quite grown to like her. She had forgotten that her belly wouldn't be swollen forever, one day, those kits would be playing in the nursery happily.

"I can tell Ebonytail?" Sunpaw suggested, poking her cinnamon head through the vines. Although the thought had only just struck her, she had noticed the connection between the two cats before. Because they're mates mouse-brain! Honeypaw scolded herself.

"Ebonytail and Goldstar" Thrushheart added, flicking a poppy over his shoulder, which scattered seeds across the earth.

Her sister nodded and rushed away, excited at the prospect of helping a queen with her kitting, but nervous that Ebonytail and Goldstar would ignore her.

"Mothpaw, continue sorting out the piles. This is good practise; raspberry leaves, iris petals and borage leaves should be in one pile. Nothing else goes in it, do you understand?" The tortoiseshell tom said urgently.

"What's going on?!" A shadowy head and a ginger head appeared through the vines. Thrushheart's eyes shone with relief but he still spoke solemnly, "Silkeyes will be kitting soon, and soon means around the time of the gathering"

Goldstar's eyes flashed in alarm, but it was nothing compared to Ebonytail, who was pacing around the room anxiously, "Does she know? Will she be ok? How many kits will there be? On the gathering day or during the actual event? Will you be-"

"Quiet!" A often unheard, stern voice yelped, "I'm trying to sort out these herbs for her, but you're breaking my concentration! These herbs could save her life if it's done correctly!"

Everyone turned around to see Mothpaw with her fur bristling, her eyes filled with worry. At the other cats' stares, she immediately looked at her paws.

A wave of sympathy washed over Honeypaw. Mothpaw was just speaking her mind. The medicine apprentice was stressed, in need of a break and, possibly, in need of a friend.