Chapter 1

Before Vanillawish's death

Honeykit and Sunkit padded into the elders' den. Newleaf sunlight spilled out of the gaps in the fallen tree. The rotting oak had moss inside and out, giving a comforting overgrown vibe.

"Sageswirl? Berrypool?" Sunkit called. Honeykit grinned. Her sister was excited for everything: becoming an apprentice, playing and even a little sunhigh storytelling by the elders. One thing Sunkit hated though was a nap. "Hello Honeykit, Sunkit" a voice croaked.
"Sageswirl!" Sunkit beamed. Honeykit padded over, shortly followed by her sister.

"Where's Berrypool?" Honeykit questioned, concern thick in her voice. While her sister preferred the energy of the old tom, Honeykit loved both their characters, as Sageswirl spoke about the fierce battled he faced in his "Good old days", she found it interesting also to watch Berrypool lost in thought, emotion glistening in her eyes as she recalled her life as a warrior. It reminded Honeykit of her and her sister's relationship; together every step of the way but with different personalities.  Berrypool was something like Honeykit, quiet and eager to learn while Sunkit was a ball of energy rushing around like Sageswirl.

"Come over 'ere! I can't see your beautiful faces, you're not facing my good eye" Berrypool's rasp came from the corner of the hollow tree. Honeykit sighed with relief.  She went over to the she-cat's side, making sure she was visible to her. "Holy Starclan! You're as long as my tail now!" Berrypool flicked her thin tail.

"Tell me your best battle again!" Sunkit squealed.
"Again? You've heard it many, many times" Sageswirl chuckled. Honeykit snapped back to reality. Despite the two mates describing the battle every time they visited, it never got old for any of them.

"Please!" The kits begged, with additional charm points for Sunkit's sparkling eyes.
"Oh alright then" the old tom chuckled.
"Back in the good old days, when Foreststar was the leader of our thriving clan and Goldstar was but a deputy, we lined up by the side of Lakeclan territory-"

"Why did this battle happen again?" Sunkit interrupted.
"You'll see" Berrypool responded.

"We met the Lakeclan cats by the border, ready to fight for their territory. To answer your question, Sunkit, it was over a patch of catnip" Sageswirl chuckled.

Honeykit looked at Sageswirl quizzically. She'd heard of the wonder called Catnip, but as she had never encountered it, she was confused on how it was something worth fighting for. Cats getting injured over nothing? What a waste of lives!, She thought, disbelief echoing in her silent words.

"When the battle begun, I went for the biggest, baddest cat there! It was difficult but I-"

An ear-splitting shriek erupted, slicing through the calm atmosphere. The cats stopped what they were doing and panicked whispers were exchanged. Honeykit heard an urgent voice rise from the panic, "Dawnsong, Ebonytail, Acorncloud go see what that was. Thrushheart, get ready with herbs. That sounds like a cat in pain". Goldstar's commands were sent quickly, not to Honeykit's surprise. Every cat in the clan admired her efficiency.

"Stay in this den, you two" Sageswirl said, his voice wobbling. Shielding us from the exit, directed and Sunkit in particular, the two elders shuffled into a wall shape as the kits crouched in the nests.
"Do you think it's bad?" Honeykit asked. She felt like slamming her head into the hollow tree when she realised how stupid the question was. Do you think it's bad!? Honeykit, you mouse-brain! Of course it's bad! She hissed to herself. She looked at the silver tabby and tortoiseshell fur wall instead of Sunkit's probably annoyed.

Honeykit curled into a ball, lost in her thoughts. Let's think logically. A cat screamed, a cat's hurt and the patrol will save them. She felt as if a weight was lifted off of her chest. The patrol is there for a reason. There's no reason to be afraid.
You should still be afraid, a lower, louder voice spoke, echoing in her head. She tried to bury the thought in her head, pushing it into the darkest, most ignored corner. But, she still heard it bouncing around, emerging to the surface. She ignored it.

Sunkit was pacing around the small enclosed space while the elders exchanged hushed whispers. Suddenly, gasps escaped the other cats' mouths. Sageswirl and Berrypool shuffled to the entrance, peering out. Silent as a mouse, the two kits crept closer to the clearing. They saw the shadowy pelt of Ebonytail crouched by something. The ginger fur of Goldstar was visible too, her usually smooth fur was bristling and her tail lashed. The kits crept closer still, eyes widening with concern.

The day they had seen it was a day that haunted them forever.

It was Vanillawish's body.