Chapter 3

"Ah Honeykit, it's time for your apprentice ceremony. I'm awfully sorry that your mother didn't get to witness it" Goldstar greeted her with as much respect as any clan cat. It warmed her heart that the leader didn't treat her like a kit.

Earlier, she had devoured the plump mouse and set off to the clearing, thanking Mothpaw and Thrushheart as she went. Swelling with pride at the thought of becoming an apprentice at last. She sat down close to the Brackenrock, neatly wrapping her thin tail around her paws as she waited for Goldstar to announce the meeting.

"All cats who thrive under the ferns, gather around the Brackenrock for a clan meeting" She yowled. Honeykit looked around for the clan cats. Dawnsong and Dusksong were bickering as usual as they emerged from the warrior den,Thrushheart and Mothpaw sat not too far away from the med den, Acorncloud glided into the clearing swiftly as the apprentices padded from their den. Sunpaw bounded over and exchanged excited glances. Two young apprentices, who had been introduced by Sunpaw as Hollypaw and Chestnutpaw sat close together but not as close as Honeykit and Sunpaw were. They were practically the same cat!

Once everyone had gathered, Goldstar's clear voice rang across the clearing, "Unfortunately, as you may know, our dear clanmate Vanillawish has been murdered" Honeykit could see her litter mate's eyes cloud with sadness. "We do not know who the murderer is, though they left their scent behind" She continued.

"I do!" Another she-cat's voice echoed from the tunnel. Everyone turned their heads to see the grey tabby known as Olivegaze standing at the entrance, her olive eyes glistening with some unknown emotion.
"What clan were they from?" Sprucefrost, the deputy questioned.
"Deathclan" Olivegaze paused as shocked murmurs spread around the clearing, "And it's not just any cat" she growled, flinging a clump of cinnamon fur towards the deputy.
As he sniffed the fur, his pupils instantly narrowed into slits. "Copperbrook" He growled. Goldstar's eyes widened.

"Who's Copperbrook?" Sunpaw asked, turning her head round to Dusksong and Dawnsong. "Your father-" Dusksong began, stopping when he saw Dawnsong's glare.
"Our father?!" Sunpaw yowled in disbelief. Honeykit spat, "Our father, who we've never met killed our mother in our territory?!". Heads spun round to face the siblings. Thrushheart looked at them as a warning to stop.

Honeykit watched as Hollypaw whispered something in Chestnutpaw's ear. He shook his head and padded away from her. Honeypaw's eyes followed as he sat by himself, wrapping his tail around his paws just as she did.

"Calm down FernClan" Goldstar yowled, "Olivegaze, we will talk after the meeting". The murmurs of disgust quieted down.

"There is a kit who is now old enough to become an apprentice" The leader smiled at Honeykit. Pride was flying through her pulse, she felt her back straighten as she beamed.

"Honeykit, you have reached the age of six moons and it is time for you to be apprenticed." She began. Honeykit felt confidence swelling with every word. She got to start training!

" From this day on, until you earn you warrior name, you shall be known as Honeypaw. Your mentor shall be Acorncloud"
Honeypaw turned her head to the young warrior. Her eyes were wide with surprise as her gaze landed on her.

"Acorncloud, you are ready to take on an apprentice. Ebonytail has taught you well and you have shown yourself to be loyal and dedicated. You will be the mentor to Honeypaw, and I expect you to pass down all of your knowledge down to her"

Acorncloud came over to Honeypaw. Both as excited as eachother, they touched noses.
"Honeypaw! Acorncloud!" The clan chanted. She could hear excited yowls coming from her sister the most. Her heart sank a little when she saw Hollypaw whisper to a cheering Dawnsong, and her heart sank more when she realised she had stopped cheering after the apprentice had whispered to her.

After a long day, Honeypaw shuffled into a nest at the apprentice den. It wasn't comfortable but she could sleep in it. Moonlight flowed through the holes in the hollow tree, comforting Honeypaw enough that she fell asleep.