Stolen Away

Aiko woke up on a futon. Looking around, she saw Mitsuhide writing something at a table. She sat up quietly, and ran her fingers through her hair in an attempt to straighten them out.

Mitsuhide didn't even look up. "Come here."

He put his brush down, and she walked over to him. Seating her so her back was to him, he pulled out a comb and started brushing her hair. Aiko squirmed slightly as his fingers gently flew over her neck, and at some point, she had the sneaking suspicion that he was doing it on purpose.

"Thanks," she said, turning around. He nodded and set the comb down. "Something's been bothering me..." said Aiko, wondering if it was a good idea to be this direct. The answer he'd give could very well break whatever was left of her heart.

"What is it?"

"Would you really have tortured me yesterday?"

Mitsuhide shook his head, and Aiko stared at him with disbelief. "There's more than one way to torture people, little one." As if to prove his point, he pushed her hair back, his fingers trailing over her neck in the process, and she shivered. Aiko nodded in understanding, not sure if she should be relieved or not.

            ✭

Aiko headed down into the city that evening, wandering aimlessly. She stopped when she heard a familiar voice from a restaurant. Sneaking to the open door, she leaned against the wall just outside.

"Mitsuhide and Kennyo?" It sounded like Sasuke. "That's a new rumor."

"Just kill them both." Aiko wasn't very sure who the voice belonged to, but based on the words, she'd bet twenty dollars it was Kenshin.

"We'll get there," assured Shingen. "So they've joined forces to take down Nobunaga?"

Aiko's heart stopped when she processed the words, but then she shook her head. Mitsuhide wouldn't. Spreading rumors to gain information was a common war tactic. She hoped Nobunaga would agree.

"But before we worry about Nobunaga, I'd suggest we do something about the skirmishes in our own territory."

She nodded in agreement from outside the restaurant, and stepped back. She didn't make any noise, but the voices from inside the restaurant stopped.

Sasuke ran out, a blur of green and black. "Aiko?"

"Sasuke!" she said, pretending to be thrilled. "I didn't know you were here."

"So it's a coincidence that you're outside?"

"Yes," she said cheerfully as Shingen and Kenshin stepped outside. Kenshin gave her a death glare, but Shingen winked flirtatiously. Aiko wondered how the two of them were even partners. "I need to head back home, but it's wonderful to see you're well."

"Suna," said Shingen. "Or rather, Aiko. You'd be pretty useful."

Aiko gave him a hard look, and he smiled knowingly. Well, she was in trouble.

"You've investigated me," she guessed as he nodded. "But you're wrong. Nobunaga hates me."

"But you're a valuable asset to him." He held her stare. "And you should rethink whether he hates you. A face as lovely as yours, I doubt anyone could express hatred for you."

Aiko could name a list if he'd let her, but she needed to run. "You're very kind, but I need to go."

She passed them, and Kenshin uttered one word that spelled her doom. "Sasuke."

She blacked out.

            ✭

And then woke up bound and gagged in a nicely furnished room. Struggling upright, she leaned against the wall and looked around.