Hide and Seek

Aiko and Mitsuhide travelled for four days, resting at inns at night. Aiko had a vague feeling that if it weren't for the fact that she was more... human, he'd probably go on riding all day and night. He said as much when she asked.

"You're self-destructive," observed Aiko. She shifted the bed covers to cover Mitsuhide a bit more. Mitsuhide solved the problem by pulling Aiko closer.

"Most would call me determined."

"Those are very different things," she chastised.

As soon as they set foot into Azuchi, they were called into a council. Aiko wondered what face to wear and what to say, but she blanked out when she saw Nobunaga and the rest. Mai hugged her the moment she entered.

"It's good to see you, lass," said Masamune. "Mitsuhide wanted to barge into their castle and bring you back."

Mai pulled back and did a quick motherly inspection. "Mitsunari pointed out what a bad idea that was. Oh, you should've seen Hideyoshi!"

"He was worried they were mistreating you," said Ieyasu, giving Aiko a quick medical glance up and down. "I say that was unjustified."

"Well, Nobunaga kept calling Aiko's name in the middle of the councils and then trailed off when he realized she wasn't here!" said Hideyoshi.

"I did no such thing," denied Nobunaga, looking away.

"He did," chimed in Ieyasu. "I thought he was suffering from some sort of amnesia."

Aiko smiled, her heart warming just a bit. "I'm back."

"Welcome home," they said together.

Mitsuhide brought everyone's attention to him. "Kennyo briefly hid out in Kyoto, but he seems to have left the area."

Someone ran into the war council, and by the look on everyone's faces, it was not a common occurrence. "Takeda..." the soldier took a moment to catch his breath. "Shingen Takeda wants an audience."

Nobunaga pursed his lips, and Ieyasu's eyes darkened as he reached for his sword. "Send him in," said Nobunaga with a wave of his hand.

Aiko looked up with surprise, and Mitsuhide discreetly pulled her closer.

Shingen sauntered in like he owned the place, and Yukimura was a step behind him, his hand on his sword. He looked around as if he were walking into a lion's den.

"Good to see you again," said Shingen cheerily, addressing Nobunaga.

"It may have escaped your notice, so let me remind you that we are in the midst of a war," said Nobunaga.

"And it may have escaped your notice, so let me remind you that we haven't had the chance to progess this war at all since the rebellions popped up."

Shingen looked up at Aiko, and walked over to her. Aiko smiled nervously, remembering how she'd run from his castle. "Good to see the goddess is in good health."

He reached out to touch her hair, and Mitsuhide batted his hand away. "Get lost."

"And she's tamed a snake too."

They stared daggers at each other, until Aiko coughed. "First of all, Shingen, thank you for treating me kindly while I was... kidnapped." He beamed, and she respectfully rolled her eyes. "And second, what are you doing here?"

"I've come to propose an alliance."

"You hate Nobunaga," Aiko reminded him.

"That hasn't changed."

"Then what did?"

He sighed theatrically. "Kennyo tried to assassinate Kenshin earlier. Kenshin wants him gone and decided I was the best person for negotiations."

If Aiko didn't know better, she'd say he was showing off.

"Despite knowing your silver tongue wouldn't work on any of us?" asked Hideyoshi.

"I wanted to see my goddess again, so I took up the job."

Mitsuhide smiled, but Aiko wouldn't have called it a friendly one. It reminded her of light gleaming off a razor.

"Right..." said Aiko, looking at Nobunaga for help.

"We'll form an alliance."

Ieyasu looked at them in distaste, but refrained from comment. Shingen nodded.

"But we don't know where Kennyo is," said Aiko, looking at the map laid out in front of Nobunaga.

"But I do," said Shingen.

"Where?" asked Masamune, his eye twinkling at the prospect of battle.

Shingen pointed at the map, his gaze settling on Azuchi. "Here."

And around them, explosions shook the city.

Alarmed, Aiko stood up, noticing that she wasn't the only one. Mitsuhide strode to look out the window. "Houses are aflame." The scent of smoke wafted in through the window. Aiko didn't like it.

"Did you know this was going to happen?" asked Masamune, drawing his sword out and pointing it at Shingen. Yukimura returned the favor, but Shingen looked as relaxed as ever.

"I'm afraid not." Shingen looked genuinely surprised, and Mitsuhide nodded, affirming his words. Masamune clicked his tongue.

"We need to go," said Mai, looking at Nobunaga.

He nodded, and barked out orders. "Ieyasu, go with the medical team. Masamune and Mai, I want you to evacuate the city."

Masamune looked like he wanted to protest, but one smile from Mitsuhide, and he surprisingly looked away.

"Hideyoshi, you come with me. Mitsuhide, Aiko, go sniff out Kennyo, and I'll let you decide whether you want him alive or dead. Shingen—"

"Lord Nobunaga!" Another samurai ran in.

"If it's about the city being on fire, we know," said Masamune.

"That's not it!" he said desperately. "There's an army heading to Azuchi!"

Nobunaga laughed, and Mitsuhide smiled. "We know the size of Kennyo's army, and we already had troops stationed just in case."

Aiko was impressed.

Shingen and Nobunaga shared a look. "Let's talk on the way. Mitsunari, Hideyoshi."

Everyone ran in different directions, and Aiko stuck close to Mitsuhide's heel. "Aiko," he said.

"Yes?"

"Do you think you could find Kennyo? Your hearing is sharper than mine."

"In this much noise?" she asked, doing her best to ignore the screams in the city. "I could try."

He tossed her a knife as they ran, and Aiko caught it. "We'll both scour the city then, but stay safe." He stopped running, and Aiko almost ran into him. They'd reached the castle city. "I never wanted to see you in battle again."

"I'm no damsel in distress," said Aiko, a hand on Mitsuhide's arm. "I'm your partner."

They looked at each other's eyes and shared a brief, chaste kiss.

"Go," said Mitsuhide.

Aiko didn't turn back as she ducked and weaved through alleyways. She surveyed the wreckage in the streets—fallen buildings, people running, spattered blood. She stopped beside a child's burnt toy and picked it up, before setting it down again.

The city was becoming silent as people left, and Aiko walked through alleys, listening for something. What, she couldn't say. But a cat's meow was by far the last thing she'd expected to hear in the midst of chaos.

************************************