Chapter Thrity-Eight: Twinkie It Up

Start from the beginning

"Hey Twink why do you always carry this thing with you? is it your man purse or something?" She teases back as she tugs it onto her lap, "may I?" She asks pointing to the zipper. He looks at her from the corner of his eye and nods, flicking on his blinker as he takes the next exit. She unzips the main pouch and peers in, Brand new bright red shoes glare up at her, two other pairs of similar shoes of different colors beneath them. She looks up at him with confusion "Was there a raid on a sporting good store that I didn't know about?" She asks an eyebrow raised as he blushes.

"No, Its what I do on the side for money, sell American shoes on the streets." He says shrugging, leaning back in his seat, one hand on the steering wheel as the other rubs his chin. Katie Studies him as he focuses souly on the road in front of them. He had a boysih quality to him that made his features sharp and attractive, sitting in the driver seat the way he was he looked like a natural, like this was his natural habitat then when he was on the streets or in the garage. It struck Katie that she had never seen him drift, always under the hood fixing the car instead of drifting or racing, intent just watching Neela or Shawn. A clap of Thunder shakes her out of her stare with a jump and a yelp. At that moment the skies open up and the down pour hits. Twinkie curses and flick on his wiper blades. "Shit now I can't sell" He mutters leaning forward and putting both hands on the steering wheel. Both he and Katie peer out the front windshield, as a streak of lightening flashes across the downtown Tokyo skyline, lighting up the buildings around them. "Oh well, hey lets go get something to eat, I can't cook worth shit so We'd be safer eating out." He says turning down main street in down town. Katie snickers.

"Just not McDonald." She says making him throw his head back and let out a roar of laughter. He weaves in and out of traffic, much to Katie's dislike, cars honking at them as they pass them by. After about fifteen minutes of the weaving in and out they stop outside a small rundown building, A Pink Neon sign hanging about the door shouting someting in Japanese, the Name of the place she presumed. Twinkie puts the truck in park and turns it OK, jumping out and heading to the building, only pausing when he was at the door. Katie quickly unbuckles herself and scrambling out of the truck to follow him. She looks up at the building sad exterior. It was dirty white white peeling side panels, dirty windows with a black tinge to them so she couldn't see inside and faiinting reeked of spilt beer. The door was coming off the hinges so when Twinkie opened it he had to steady it and wiggle it out of place so they could enter. An unease feeling was stirring deep in her stomach as they pass through the threshold, her hand reaching out and seeking the back of his shirt. "Where have you taken me Twinkie?" She whispers moving closer and modling herself to his back. He looks behind him and smiles before tearing himself away from her grasp, moving out of her way so she could see the place. She gasps.

The outside of the building was a ruse, a lie, to what it held inside.Inside was a fast pace club, The thumping beat shocking to her system after the quiet from outside, meaning there was some sort of sound proofing on the walls. The strobe light flashes searing into her retinas making her squint. Twinkie laughs and loops his arms through hers reminding her of the first time they met, and lead her through the dance floor where a mass of wriggling gyrating bodies dancing in time to the thumping beat, of the Japanese pop. Even though Katie couldn't understand the words she was starting to really get into Japanese music, it was too catchy not to. Twinkie pulls her over to the bar and the two slip onto a pair of stools that were blissfully together. She looks around the bar and sees women in all sorts of barely there clothing, men of all sizes eyes them like meat, it made her shutter and look back at her friend. Twinkie was staring down the bar trying to wave down the bartender. The white in his ever present doo rag flashing neon everytime the strobe light would go off. Finally he manages to wave him down and he saunters over, his arms thick with muscles which made Katie realize he wasn't Just a bartender for this club, but a bodyguard as well.