Chapter 64

Mum stares at me. Her right eye twitches. Then her shoulders slump, and she slowly shakes her head.
"Hollie, Hollie, Hollie...." A heavy pause. "How do you always get yourself into these sorts of situations? How?"
"Mother, I didn't choose to be married to Connor, you forget. So, technically, considering he put on the hood for the first time a good year before he even knew my name, it's your fault, this time."
She massages her eyelids tiredly with her thumbs. "So... but why? Why would he steal from himself? Couldn't he just give money to the people, and clear his own name as prince?!"
"It's... a little more complicated than that."
"Complicated? Hollie, right now, I don't think there's one aspect of your life that isn't complicated."
"I second that." I snort. "But... see, Connor... he's not really in control. Thomas is still king, and whatever Connor wants to do has to pass his judgement. And, because Thomas is mad, there's not much Connor can do for Clockman, at least as a prince.
"But... if he puts on a hood and cloak, and calls himself a bandit, then he sneaks around the castle, breaks into the vaults and treasury and grain-mill, then distributes it all out to the peasants... then, he's really doing his kingdom a favor. He's not stealing from himself,-"
"He's stealing from his father...." My mother finishes for me in a whisper. I nod solemnly, not sure how she'll take it. But I needed to tell someone, anyone... and she needed to know.
She closes her eyes, and my heart is thundering in my chest. What if she disapproves? She could turn Connor in, and then the people would be without hope, and I without my... love? Can I even call him that right now?
"Well," Her eyes open, and she attempts a brave smile. "Judging on what I've seen of the Clockman village, those people could use all the help they can get."
I exhale in relief. "So... you're not going to... turn Connor in?"
She chuckles lightly. "Heavens, Hollie, do you take me as a fool? I don't approve of thievery, but given the circumstances.... At least this shows the boy is somewhat brazen, at least enough to contradict his own father, and maybe he gives a damn what happens to his kingdom."
I bring the covers up comfortably to my neck, smiling all the while, relieved.
"And if anything, this just makes my opinion of Connor go up that much!" She raises her fingers as a demonstration, and I chuckle.
"You have no idea how long I've wanted to get that off my chest...." I sigh.
"Oh- but, Hollie; I take it the woman they speak of... that was... that was you, then?" She asks suddenly, and her voice seems to grow darker.
"Um... yeah?"
"Well, that will have to stop immediately." Her voice leaves no room for question.
"Not a problem." I growl reluctantly. "Connor made me stop last month... I threw up in the middle of the run, and that's when I think he realized just how pregnant I'd become."
She purses her lips. "At least he has enough sense at that... though I simply can't believe he would let you come with him, risking your life out there-"
"Mother, I begged him," I say, "I pleaded with him. I was bored dead out of my wits, and... well... I just needed an adventure."
She sighs, looking me up and down. "An adventure, hmm? I suppose the process of getting pregnant wasn't exciting enough for you, then?"
I blush, and she chuckles sadly.
"I understand, Hollie. I think I do. I know, at some point in my life, I wanted the same things... it's just hard to watch you do it all over again."
She closes the shades, then, and without another word the door shuts behind her, and I'm left alone in the world.