Chapter 38

We wander up the hall and climb the tower staircase, slipping into our room. The door closes behind us.
"I suppose you also heard her... eh, warning, then?" Connor raises an eyebrow, slipping his shirt off as he walks, and the dusky light meanders out of the window.
"Oh, yeah." I snort, waiting for him to finish changing into bedclothes to finish. Or at least pants... apparently he's decided shirts are unnecessary for the moment. "She will hunt you down...."
"There's no doubt in my mind." He sighs. I stand in the middle of the room, having nothing better to do for the moment. "Where's Matty?" He frowns, glancing at the door.
"Dunno." I shrug. "You probably scared her off."
"I guess I'm just naturally intimidating...." He purrs, slipping behind me and wrapping his bare arms gently around me.
"Keep dreaming." I snort, laying my head back against his chest and closing my eyes tiredly. "Mmm... so you liked my mother, then?"
"She was a lot more... wet... than I remember...." He says thoughtfully.
"I think she actually felt bad for forcing me into this...."
"Mmm... I actually feel really bad now, about all the times we've... and the fact that, right before she even came in...." He shivers behind me, muscular arms cradling me back against his chest.
"It's still her fault, if you think about it. Giving me away at such a young age... she could have waited a few more years..." I lean my head back and peer up at him. "Though I'm not sure you could've..."
I never get to find out what he was about to reply to that, because at that moment the door slams open, and Matty nudges into the room. She stops when she sees Connor holding me, but I slip out of his grasp and smile to her. Behind the folding screen, she hastily undoes my dress.
"So how did it all go, miss?"
"My mother? Oh... she... she had a nice talk with us...." I let my voice fade away. "And she gave Connor quite the warning. A threat, I'd say."
"I believe it was a promise." He says from the other side of the screen. "Apparently your mother isn't a fan of grandchildren...."
"Not grandchildren who are barely thirty years younger than herself." I remind him. "So you'd better watch yourself."
"Don't worry... I don't want to be a father. Children smell."
"So what did you do today for your birthday, Matty?" I say, changing the subject abruptly before Connor can make the topic more uncomfortable for everyone.
"I simply did my normal duties, my lady." My corset loosens, and I gasp involuntarily, rubbing my stomach. Maybe it's time to lose some weight... it doesn't help that Connor has taken to sneaking me meals from the servants when he can.
"Didn't you get any gifts?"
"No, miss, I'm only a humble servant-"
"Why, Matty!" I say indignantly, turning to her, dressed only in my petticoat. "Then there's something in need of fixing!"
"I don't need anything-" She says hastily as she realizes what I'm getting at.
"Rubbish." I wave her off, and walk out from behind the folding screen to her protests. Connor stares blankly from where he's lounging on the bed.
"Now, Hollie." He eyes me sternly, looking me up and down several times more than I consider necessary. "You just got done telling me how I ought to be more careful with you, then you go and-"
"Connor, it's Matty's birthday." I point at my lady in waiting, who stands, blushing heavily, in the corner, no doubt wishing she could disappear.
He blinks. "Um... okay?"
"She hasn't gotten any presents!" I fling my hands up in the air.
"Neither did we last year." He shrugs, lying back on the bed and giving me a tired sidelong glance.
"Yes, but-" I stop suddenly, then whirl and fling open the wardrobe. I begin shuffling through all the garments and other odds and ends me and Connor have jammed inside to get out of the way or hide from each other.
"Whoa, Hollie, watch it-" Connor yelps, leaping from the bed and crossing the floor in an instant. I don't stop, but he lays a hand on my shoulder, trying to pull me back. "I have things in there-"
My hand catches something soft, and I yank it from the drawer, hoping it will be what I think it is... but a heavy sack of gold coins slams to the ground, spilling across the floor.
Silence.
Matty's eyes widen, and she looks wordlessly from Connor to me, then back to Connor, as he runs a hand awkwardly through his hair and stares at the spilled gold like he doesn't know how it got there.
"Miss... that's an awful lot of gold to be keeping in one place...." Matty says slowly.
"I know... but the bandit and all... we thought it'd be safer here..." I say, hoping Connor will take over from there. He glances up at me coldly, making it quite clear that if I could get us into this mess, I was going to get us out.
"You know... so it won't get stolen..." I finish weakly. Hollie stares blankly at the mess of coins across the floor. Much to much gold for anyone to have in their private chambers, even royals. But without further ado, she bends and begins to pluck the coins from the floor and deposit them back into the bag.
"That's not necessary, Matty-" I kneel to help, and glance up at Connor when he remains standing. He sighs, then gets to his knees with a grunt and grudgingly helps.
"There you go," We finish, and Matty thrusts the bag in my hand. I search her face for any suspicion or accusation... but it's unreadable. Maybe she's learned something from me. "all tidied up."
She turns to go, but I stop her with a cry, turning back to the wardrobe and throwing the coin sack inside, bending to rifle through more things. "Wait, Matty, I never found what I was looking for-"
"No!" Connor shouts suddenly. He grabs me roughly around the waist from behind, pulling me back from the wardrobe. Matty stares as he wrestles me to the ground. "Hollie, that's not the only thing in there-" He growls in my ear, and I quit struggling with a sigh. It's hard, sometimes. Living with an undercover bandit.
"I just feel bad though- you do so much for me, Matty." I look up at her pitifully, while Connor's arms restrain me. He's still shirtless, too. In case you wanted to know.
"I don't need anything in return, your ladyship-" She begins, but I elbow Connor in the gut, and he staggers off of me so I can stand.
"I know, and an object seems so pathetic..." I clench my fists in frustration. I was going to give her a dress, but that just seems so stuck up and prissy... what could I give her that has meaning?
"I know what will make you happy!" I clap my hands together, and she eyes me worriedly, edging toward the door.
"Really, miss, I just want to get back to-"
"Nonsense! Really, I've got it this time."
She bites her lip in response to that, so I turn to Connor expectantly. "Connor," I say formally, and his eyebrows disappear into his hair, which has grown rather long. "you need a haircut."
"Excuse me?" He dips his head in disbelief, and Matty shakes hers behind me.
"I don't see how that will make me happy, my lady." She frowns at me pointedly. I look back to Connor. I like him better with his short, spiky hair, but the longer, shaggy look is nice on him too. Makes him cuter, though... I quite like that rugged look... right.
"No, no. Not that, I just noticed now. No, what's going to make you happy," I point at Connor. "is Connor being nice to you."
This is greeted with absolute silence.
"Where the Hell did that come from?" Connor snorts after a moment, staring at me like I've gone mad. Matty backs to the door again.
"Look at you, you're terrified of him, poor thing!" I run to her and drag her forward to Connor, who stands back, looking down at her, then to me, with confusion on his face.
"I don't understand-"
"Miss, I really-"
"Both of you, shut up!" I roar, and silence ensues. "Good. Now... Connor, make her not scared of you anymore."
He gives me a withering look. "Jeez, thanks Hollie for being more specific." I glare at him, and he looks down at a trembling, pale-faced Matty with bemusement.
"Alright... uh... I'm sorry for being...."
"An ass?" I offer. He scowls.
"I was going to say overaggressive."
"Same thing."
"Anyway..." He rolls his eyes at me, and looks back down to Matty, kneeling so he's more at her level, and placing his arms on her shoulders. "I am sincerely sorry for any misunderstanding between us... I have not meant to... intimidate you."
Quietness beats mercilessly on my eardrums. Finally, Matty whispers.
"I'm still scared."
"I know..." Connor groans, throwing his head back and trying to think of something else comforting to say. "Um... I'll try not to... yell so much..."
"And to stop being an-"
"Thank you, Hollie!" He glares daggers at me. "But as I was saying, I will try not to be so imposing, threatening.... aggressive, amazing, attractive-"
"Shut up." I kick him in the shin, and he chuckles in pain. "Matty, this is him being modest. As modest as he'll ever get. So... do you feel any better?"
She bites her lip worriedly, looking from me to Connor, then back again. "I..."
"Speak up!" I encourage her.
"I just..." She sighs, then speaks reluctantly. "I am scared, yes... but, my lady, I worry more about what he may do or has done to you..."
Silence.
"And so the truth comes out...." Connor muses, raising his eyebrow at me with amusement.
"Oh, Matty-" I spin her around to me and embrace her comfortingly.
"I just- I've seen you two doing..." She stops and takes a deep breath. "More than once I've stumbled into the room to find you two locked together. Kissing... sometimes it seems like more..." She swallows. "But I can never tell if you are comfortable, my lady, or if he is...." She bows her head ashamedly, glancing with fear up to Connor like he might lash out.
Instead, he gets to his feet with a sigh, crossing over to me and surprising me. He embraces me, not even kissing. Simply wrapping his strong arms around me, and I reach out without hesitation and touch my fingers to his corded back. Finally, he pulls back and looks at Matty.
"It hurts me, actually, that so many people think I would try to assault my own wife...." He closes his eyes, and I realize with a start that he's not making this up. "I don't know who people think I am... but I would never do anything like that, and I'm ashamed people think I would! Yes, me and Hollie are married, and we have..." He searches for the word. "Passionately embraced... several times... and nothing besides that has happened, and nothing besides that will ever happen without her full consent." He looks to Matty with stern eyes, and she glances worriedly at me. I sigh.
"Matty, half the time it's not even him that engages." I admit, somewhat untruthfully. Even as I speak, I pull him down to me and quickly kiss him on the lips, restraining myself from prolonging it. He's just too handsome to exist.
"Well, I can see you two are feeling in a mood tonight, so I'll be going-" Matty says roughly, moving toward the door.
"Wait, Matty!" I catch her shoulder as she passes, though I never leave Connor's arms. "Why didn't you tell me you were concerned for my well-being?"
"I just..." She glances nervously at Connor. "I was worried he might be... threatening you...."
"I really come across as that intimidating?" Connor scoffs, and I nod.
"Yeah, you're really bad at first impressions." I say truthfully. "But I do thank you, Matty for being honest. I assure you... I don't feel threatened."
"I believe you, miss." She says, trying for a smile as she cracks open the door.
"And, uh, Matty-" Connor says suddenly, startling the both of us. She looks back at him, the color draining from her face.
"Uh... happy birthday." He says awkwardly, face growing red. Her eyes widen in surprise, but she smiles a little broader, blushing, and the door shuts behind her.
"That was my mother all over again." I sigh, turning back to him and gazing up into his eyes.
"Mmm... I just can't believe she thought I was, like... forcing you..." He shivers.
"Maybe it's common with young couples, arranged marriages..." I shrug.
"Wouldn't be surprised..." His hands run slowly through my hair. "God... you know how terrible that would be?"
"For me?"
"Hey, it can happen to men to!" He says defensively. "But, yeah... probably more dangerous for you... still. Have you ever realized how unbelievably lucky we are?"
"How am I lucky?" I purse my lips, lacing my fingers behind his warm neck and looking into his eyes. "I'm married to you, after all."