Chapter 61

I'm twenty four weeks now. I look like I've swallowed a small pumpkin.
I'm sure most people know by now that I'm heavy with child. Me and Connor decided I'd gotten too big to hide it anymore, so now I don't bother to wear a cloak whenever I leave our chambers.
The initial reaction of the servants when I openly stepped out in maternity clothes, without any other form of concealment, was surprising. They stared as we walked past, Connor's hand firmly on the small of my back, and I ignored the whispers. I knew they didn't consider me too young... they were just shocked. Prince Connor? A father?
I go about my daily castle rounds. When I show up in the kitchens, the cook, Trenton, glances up, and then his eyes widen in surprise.
"I... I see the princess has grown, eh, close then, to the high prince Connor?" He asks delicately.
I roll my eyes. "A mishap of passion, Trenton."
Nothing more.
The tailor, obviously, isn't surprised at all when I show up to review the sewing. None of his servants are either, though the maidens glance up at me surreptitiously. I take a seat and begin to sew with them, and the blond next to me leans over with sparkling eyes, looking at the lump in my stomach.
"Prince Connor's baby, miss?" She smiles politely, and I nod tiredly.
"I knew it!" One of them cries from across the circle. We all stare at her. "I knew she was with his child! You owe me two pounds, Molly."
She glares accusingly at another maid, who blushes when my eyes find her. So they'd been taking bets on whether or not Connor had gotten me pregnant. Oh my.
On me and Connor's next ride to the village, when we visit the barman for news of the bandit's latest attack, the villagers stare as he guide me through the tavern doors.
We take our seats in the good old inn, and the bartender breaks away from his raucous costumers to lean over to us across the bar. His eyes widen when he sees the orb of my womb, and he raises an eyebrow at Connor.
"You couldn't resist, could ye, mate?" He shakes his head disapprovingly, and Connor's face reddens.
"It's just a baby!" I cry suddenly, surprising all three of us. "I mean, why is it so wrong that a couple who has been married for nearly two years have a baby! How come it's such a big deal!?"
The bartender blinks, taken aback. "It- it isn't, miss... it's just... when you two come in, you never seem to show those sorts of affections for each other. Just... surprising, is all." He shrugs innocently, and I roll my eyes.
"So... any news on the bandit?" Connor lowers his voice and changes the subject. The usual gold coin changes hands.
"Well... and don't take me every word on this, but..." The bartender glances behind him. "A feller was in 'ere couple o' nights ago. 'E got pretty badly drunk, and started spillin' tales. A knight, 'e was. 'E fed the men a bunch o' bull-crap about everyt'in... but then 'e started to talk about the bandit. And... more importantly, the bandit's woman."
Connor's mouth thins, lips pressing grimly together, and he throws me a sidelong glance. Gregory. He looks back at the barman. "Tell me."
"Well... see, 'e goes off and says 'e and 'is men caught up to the bandit on one of 'is trips, couple o' weeks ago. And 'e says that one o' his men went and caught the boot o' the lady bandit, an' she fell right off 'er 'orse!" He chuckles at the strangeness of the tale. "And then, 'e says, 'is knights are surroundin' 'er, and she pulls out a knife, and 'e tells 'er to take off the 'ood. But then, 'e says, and the room got real quiet-like 'ere, 'e says that she bends right over and throws up. Right then and there! And the way 'e tells it, when she looks back up, 'er 'and is on 'er belly, and 'e says 'e can see the lump of the child within 'er!" The barman slams his hand on the table, guffawing with laughter.
"Don't that beat all!" He chuckles. "The bandit done went and got that woman pregnant, and now 'e don't know what t' do wit' 'er!" He roars with laughter, and Connor clasps and unclasps his fingers anxiously.
"Yes... that's very amusing, I'm sure." Connor sighs. "Poor girl, really. Man wanted some company... and now she's having his child."
He looks at me meaningfully, and I bow my head to hide the blush rising in my cheeks. I look down at my swollen belly, rubbing my hand along it thoughtfully. The baby kicks again. It's hyper today.
We leave and begin to ride back through the city, on the same horse. Whispers and murmured words float around on the air, people turning their heads and muttering something to their neighbors. All eyes are on the prince and his pregnant wife.
I see that woman and her son, the ones who keep popping up everywhere... wasn't his name Leonid? They stand in the market, watching us with gaping jaws. I feel myself blushing, and remember what the barman said. They aren't judging me, I remind myself. They're just surprised, because Connor doesn't publicly display his affections for me, at least in the village.
He notices this as well, apparently, because he grips me tighter and kisses my cheek, placing a hand mindfully on my child-swollen womb, and raises his hand in farewell to the people.
Silence.
Then a cheer. It begins as one voice, then slowly grows, until every man or woman standing in the Main Street is barking out their approval, whooping and hollering, and Connor turns back to me with a grin.
"See? They love us."
Of course, there are more people to tell.
Later that day, I go to watch Connor training in the rink. Men stare at me, the child-laden princess leaning eagerly over the ropes of the rink as prince Connor fights as furiously as ever. I watch his sword dart through the air, deflecting his opponent's every blow effortlessly, driving him back. He dances over the gravel, bare hands flashing over the handle, and blow after blow, it's almost beautiful to watch. Inspiring, somehow, like an art.
His opponent falls to the ground, moaning, and Connor removes his helmet to run a hand through sweaty hair, making it all stand on end. I clap my hands and whoop excitedly, and he turns to me, eyebrows raised.
"Hollie! When did you come down here?" He walks over to me with a grin, then his eyes dart over to the knights heading towards us from one corner. "Hollie, the knights are going to see you...."
"So what? I'm can't hide this thing anymore." I snort, looking pointedly at the massive bulge in my midsection.
"Yes, but... do you realize how much crap they're going to give me?" He complains, just as the knights hurtle in the rink behind him.
"Oi! Connor!" Wallace hoots, and Connor bites his lip, turning around to face them, purposely standing directly in front of me.
"Face me, you sniveling coward!" Gregory challenges with a hearty laugh, throwing his gauntlet on the ground at Connor's feet. Connor laughs nervously.
"Not today...." He begins to say, and Keaton crosses his arms.
"The prince? Refusing a challenge? What sorcery is this?" He jokes, whipping out his sword and casually running a gloved hand down its length. "What's wrong, friend? You look tired."
I nudge Connor in the back, but he's in armor so he probably doesn't feel a thing, and I sidle out from behind him. The knights' eyes widen in surprise, then they see my clothes, and then my protruding womb, now at least six inches bigger than my normal flat stomach.
"Whoa!" Wallace sums up. His shocked eyes dart from my stomach to me, then to Connor. "Mate, what did you do to the poor girl? Her belly is practically as big as she is!"
Connor runs a hand through his hair, looking apologetically at the ground. "This is... uh... this is sort of my fault...."
"Sort of?" Elwin snorts. "Connor, your wife has either swallowed a pumpkin whole, or you've gotten her pregnant!"
Keaton eyes me sadly. "Connor... please tell me this was with her consent."
I clamber up the ropes, then, and hook my legs around Connor's hips. I throw my arms around his neck, my belly squished between us, and I rest my chin on his head.
"Yes, Keaton." He looks up at me, and I kiss his cheek, making him blush. "Rest assured... I wasn't the one who insisted."
I look at the knights, smiling as Connor loops his arms back under my thighs, hoisting me up higher on his sturdy back.
"Connor... exactly, how many weeks has Hollie been with child?" Gregory asks suddenly. I glance at him, and my heart sinks when I see the uncertainty on his face. While all the other knights are summing Connor up with their eyes, changing their opinions and generally happy for him, Gregory's eyes are narrowed and suspicious, confused.
"Um... this'll be, what, twenty four weeks now, Hollie?" Connor glances up at me, not noticing Gregory's expression.
"I... yes, I believe so." I swallow, unable to take my eyes away from Gregory as he does the math in his head, expression growing darker as he does so. His eyes zoom over Connor, the prince's sword hooked easily in his belt, and I know he's beginning to make connections.
Not good.
"Holy!" Connor yelps suddenly, and the knights all stare at him. His face reddens, and he looks down. "Baby kicked again... never going to get used to that."
"At least it isn't inside you." I retort. The knights chuckle at him, and he hoists me up higher again.
"You know, Connor," Wallace sizes him up. "I never pictured you as a father. I always knew you two would get it on, and all, but I never expected you to have anything to show for it."
Connor's fingers tighten on my thighs. "It was an accident...." He admits.
"Ah... so you couldn't stay away from her?" Elwin taunts him. "Well, my friend, that's what happens. It's the way of life. You get too close to a woman, an then, BOOM! Next thing you know, you're the father to her child. Mate... your life is never going to be the same again."
"Trust me, mate. The bachelor lifestyle isn't for everybody." Gregory says lightly, but the darkness in his eyes is still there.
"Come now, Gregory." Connor chides him. "Seeing the way you are with women, I'd bet you have several young children running around Clockman."
Gregory snorts. "Connor, I assure you, I take measures to prevent that."
Connor shrugs. "So did Hollie... and yet, now my baby is growing in her."
Gregory raises an eyebrow in disbelief. "Oh, Connor... so naive, so much to learn. I'll have a talk with you later, because you evidently don't quite understand how to avoid this sort of thing."
Connor blinks. "Wait... you mean there are other ways? Tell me!"
Gregory chuckles sardonically, glancing up at me with concealed coldness in his eyes. "Not in front of the lady, Connor. Some other time... I can't believe you never figured it out."
"What?" Connor insists, and all the other knights just laugh and disperse. He looks at me. "Did you know there was another way?"
I smirk. "I can guess it has to do with the man's part of conception, so I'm not going to get into it."
He sighs, and sets me down. His eyes travel up and down my body, landing again on my stomach.
"Still hard to believe I somehow put a baby inside of you." He shakes his head, obviously deciding he'll never quite understand.
"Come on," I grasp his hand gently, smiling up at him because I know he still feels guilty about the whole pregnancy issue. "let's get some lunch."