Chapter 62

Of course, there's one more person to break the big news to.
And it doesn't go as well as I'd have liked.
I'm twenty-eight weeks in. My belly has grown even more, a round globe sticking out of my stomach.
I'm dozing in the bed, the covers half yanked-off around me, and I find myself breathing in Connor's scent. I open my eyes, and see only darkness, my head pressed into his chest, his arms holding me to his body like something might grab me away.
I wriggle my shoulders, pulling my head back onto a pillow, and he stirs beside me. I look at his slumbering face, the calmness of his expression. No tense anger, no taut alertness. He looks peaceful, angelic, even, in a devilish sort of way.
"Hollie...." He murmurs, snuggling in closer to me. His arms slide beneath mine and gently hold my back. My belly is encased between our bodies.
His eyes haven't even glittered open yet, but he mumbles something sleepily while winding numb fingers through my dark hair. He inches forward and bows his neck to let his head rest on my bosom. I sigh, and he shifts again, half-asleep, using my breasts as a pillow.
I wrap my arms around his head and pull him into me, his cheek pressed into tender skin. He blinks, then, eyes starting down at his 'pillow' then rising to my face.
"Shhh...." I stroke my hands through his hair, and he presses his face back into my bodice. How he doesn't suffocate in the crevice of my cleavage is beyond me.
His skin is rough on the tender bare skin of my breast. Scratchy, even. I let one of my hands trail down his face, and feel the stubble lining his jaw.
"Connor, love," I murmur, "you need to shave."
He glances up, a rag-tag grin spreading across his lips as he feels the side of his own face with a kind of triumph. I can assume the subject of his baby-smooth face has been quite the topic with the knights.
"Yes!" His eyes alight. "I'm growing to grow a beard!"
I purse my lips. "No, no, you aren't." And before he can argue, I pull him back down to my breasts. Great way to end a conversation.
"Mmm... Hollie...." He hums into my chest. He kisses me lightly, his lips sucking at my bare skin. His hands rise as I wrap my arms around his neck and press him to my bosom, and I feel my shirt being unbuttoned. Just the top.
His lips stroke my body, then he unbuttons my shirt all the way and gently kisses my swollen belly.
"Don't wake the baby." I whisper, smiling at him. He presses his ear to my stomach again, as our hands wind together. Then, pulling back away, he shifts his body to curl around my womb, kissing my lips as he does so. His tongue slides into my mouth, and his hands travel back up to my exposed breasts.
"Hollie... Hollie, I love you...." He murmurs, burying his face back within my cleavage. "I love you... so, so, so much...."
Suddenly light hits us like an explosion, and the curtains are ripped away.
"GET OFF MY DAUGHTER!"
We blink away the blinding light, squinting up, ears ringing, into the face of the last person we expected.
"Mother?!"
"Get off her, you filthy scum-bag!" She cries shrilly. She raises her purse and beats it against Connor's head, and he scrambles off of me, throwing his hands in front of his face. "Get! Off!"
"Mum-" I try to grab her arm to prevent her from beating Connor with her handbag, but she jerks out of my grasp.
"You little ingrate! You bastard, using my daughter like a- like a prostitute!" She screams, and he opens his mouth to recite a stream of mumbled excuses, his face red. "I'll have you castrated, I'll have you-"
"MUM!" I grab her arm, and she looks down at me, face red with anger. Her eyes soften when she sees my face. And she freezes when she sees my swollen belly.
"Good God, Hollie...." She whispers, staring, dumbstruck, at my protruding womb. Connor looks up, face still red, and follows her gaze. His eyes grow guilty.
"Mam... I didn't mean to...." He says softly, but I watch her face as her eyes fill with tears, and she slowly shakes her head.
"Hollie... my Hollie baby... he got you pregnant...." She breaths, unbelieving. A single crystal tear rolls down her cheek, weaving a pink trail through her white make-up. "He... he did this to you. He used you, my baby, stole your virginity and planted a child in you...."
She closes her eyes, and the tears trickle freely down her face.
"You, boy... do you realize what you've done?" Her voice comes in cracked whispers, and sobs wrack her body. "You've- you've dirtied her! You've taken away her purity, made her yours, put yourself inside her and claimed her like property-" She stops suddenly, and sinks to her knees. I grip her hand, struggling to sit up with the weight in my belly. "This is my fault, Hollie. Hollie, I'm sorry... I gave you to him, I should've known he'd do this to you...."
She buries her face in our clasped hands. "My baby, my Hollie... I let him do this to you. You're his, and I sold you, and now he's done this to you... ruined you...."
Connor watches uncertainly, and I lean painstakingly over the edge of the bed to hug her. "I-oh, Mum... I told him to do it." I confess, and she glances up, an expression of incredulity on her face.
"You wanted a baby?"
"I-oh, no!" I shake my head. "No, we didn't think I would... we didn't know I would get... we just wanted each other, and kisses weren't enough, so we..." I gulp. It's hard to talk about it, but she's my mother. She deserves to know. "I wanted him. It was overwhelming... I can't even describe it. We'd discussed... intercourse, obviously... but I decided I wanted him too badly to ignore my feelings anymore. And then we...." I choke up.
"Mated?" Connor offers helpfully.
"Yeah... that. And then I missed my cycle, and now I look like I've swallowed a pumpkin, and his baby is inside me, growing bigger every day."
I watch her face closely. She bites her lip, choking on tears that continue to flow. Connor inches closer to me, and his arm sneaks around my waist, gently rubbing my bulging stomach.
"My little Hollie..." My mother sniffs, still shaking her head and staring at our entwined fingers. "My baby girl... losing her virginity to her husband, giving him a child... I never imagined it would happen so soon... I can't believe you, Hollie, I warned you against this-"
"I- Mam," Connor begins. His powerful voice rumbles inside of me. "it's my fault, not your daughter's. I did this... punish me. Not her."
My mother glances up. At me. At him, with his great blue eyes wide and sincere, holding me to his body like his missing half. Then to my stomach, his hand curled protectively on top. Then the tears come again.
"I know Hollie was just as much the culprit as you, Connor, don't lie to me. But why... why couldn't you just resist? Boy, couldn't you have just stopped tempting her, or at least refrained from filling her?" She bawls. Connor looks down ashamedly, removing a guilty hand from my backside.
"I... I'm sorry."
The words are so open, so raw and vulnerable, my mother breaks into tears again, a refreshed waterfall cascading down her face.
"There's nothing to be sorry for, Connor... I gave my daughter to you, and you're... you can do with her what you like, even if I don't like it. She's yours, and if you choose to... to do certain things with her... I can't complain, because she's your wife."
Connor shakes his head.
"But she'll always be your daughter, first and foremost."
And she doubles over in a renewed fit of bawling. Way to go, Connor.
I go to crawl out of bed to comfort her, but I wince as I sit up. I flop back down on the pillows, cringing in pain. I try to get up again, but I sink down into the sheets, and my belly presses down on me, a huge bubble inside me that restricts my movements.
"Hollie!" Connor's hand scoots under my back as I almost collapse again, and he pushes me up. I sit, gasping, hands clutched to my globe of a stomach. "Are you okay?"
He looks at me urgently, and I nod quickly, trying not to gasp at the strain. I'm getting so big... I feel like a whale, flopping around on land and yet unable to move for all my efforts.
"Yeah, fine... the baby is just a... a little heavy, is all." I clamber out of bed and painstakingly get back down to sit with my mother, holding her in my arms.
"Mum... I'm fine. Look on the bright side; we're married, at least... he's not going to leave me to raise it all alone, and I haven't committed adultery. So... no harm done, right?"
"Stop defending him!" My mother shrieks suddenly. The baby jumps inside of me at the sudden noise, startling me. "He did this to you, Hollie... I know you love him, but look what he's done to you...."
"Mum," I hiss, and she looks up with puffy red eyes, "stop shouting. You're scaring the baby."
Her eyes widen, and she looks down at the massive bulge sticking out almost ten inches from my body.
"It... it moves?" She whispers, and I know what she means. She doesn't know how far along I am.
"Yes... here." I grab her hand and press her fingers to my bare stomach, my shirt still unbuttoned and displaying my swollen breasts and belly. Her eyebrows go up, though, and I see the smile twitch reluctantly across her lips.
"It's... it's moving...."
"Yes. Mum... what Connor did to me... it's not bad." I whisper, pulling her close to me as she holds a trembling hand to my stomach. My voice is soft. "It's beautiful."
The baby stirs again, and there's a gentle touch on my back. Connor kneels behind me and kisses my neck lightly, watching my mother sob into my shoulder.
"I... Connor-" She suddenly whirls on him. "Didn't you remember my warning?!"
His eyes widen, and he closes his legs guiltily. "I- I didn't know I would actually get her pregnant... it just felt right, and we did it." He shrugs, as if there's nothing more to say on the matter.
My mother wipes the tears from her eyes and looks back down at my womb. Connor grasps my shoulder and pats her gently on the back. She closes her eyes, trying to swallow the sobs.
"I'm disappointed in both of you," She gulps at last. "-especially you, Connor! You should have known not to try anything!"
Connor's eyebrows rise, and he mouths to me behind her back. Always my fault.
"But... it's already happened, and there's no going back now. Connor-" She looks at him with a sudden ferocity. "I'm not going to forgive what you've done to my daughter. I can understand, but I'll never forgive. I know she loves you, though... and, all things considered, if she had to have a child... I suppose I'm glad you're the father."
She speaks with a clenched jaw and squared shoulders, and Connor nods stoically. His hand travels to my back and winds itself in my hair, and a big, battle-scarred hand rubs my bare stomach. While my mother wipes her eyes, however, his fingers travel up to stroke my bosom, tracing my cleavage and sending thrills of pleasure down my body.
"Connor!"
My mother smacks his hand away, and he recedes guiltily. A puppy caught stealing food.
"I don't like it when you touch my daughter, but it's your right as her husband, and, legally, I can do nothing about it. But if you could refrain from doing it right in front of me, I would be grateful."
"Yes, mam."
"Very well." Mum gets to her feet and straightens to her full, impressive height (she's taller than Connor, which he evidently finds embarrassing) then turns and looks at the two of us, wrapped together on the floor. I shiver in the cold, and immediately Connor pulls a blanket off the bed, wrapping it around my shoulders snug and warm, then throwing his arms around me.
My mother sighs.
"Hollie... be good to this boy. You're not going to find another like him."
I nod, and Connor nuzzles my neck, his warmth encasing me. He spreads his legs around me, his thighs pressing against my hips-
My mom barks a short warning at him, like one would a naughty animal, and he quickly pulls his legs back in.
"Watch yourself, boy." She points a finger at him, and he looks up with wide eyes. Connor's not used to being told what he can't have.
"I'll be watching you too." Mother adds, keeping an eye on where his hands go as she continues. "I had planned to simply come and check up on you... of course, wasn't quite what I'd expected... but I'll be staying in the castle from now until the baby is born. Of course, I'll have to return to Prenner, collect my things, spread the word, settle things in for a few months-"
"I'm coming with you." I say abruptly. Connor raises an eyebrow.
"Um... no, no you're not."
I wrinkle my nose at him. "You don't control me."
He snorts. "Actually, I do, you just don't listen. But I draw the line at having my pregnant wife traversing cross-country to another kingdom, especially in this damned weather!"
He throws his arm at the window, where snow beats furiously against the glass. I glare at him. My mother evidently sees this is a good time to leave and mutters something about preparing the horses, before sliding quietly out the door.
"I want to see Prenner again." I say stubbornly as soon as she leaves. His eyes remain cold.
"No, Hollie. What if you... what if you gave birth when you were there?" He searches for a better excuse, and I roll my eyes.
"Connor, I'm twenty-eight weeks. I've got a good three months left at best-"
"Yes, but it could very well come early."
He has a good point.
"You could always come with me." I suggest. He grimaces.
"I wish. But I need to be here to make sure my father doesn't claim war on Gordon, or something idiotic of the like."
I purse my lips. "Well, we could use some separation anyway."
His brow furrows, and he suddenly looks very hurt. "Hollie... what're you saying?"
I shrug uncomfortably, and he stops holding me. "I just mean... I could use some space, you know, some time apart... it's been over a year and a half, Connor, sometimes it's time for a break...."
"You- you're saying you don't want to be.. to be near me?" He asks, confused.
"No! No, not at all. I just... I'd like to visit my friends, you know, and maybe you could have some guy time with the knights-"
"Yes, that would be pleasant." He says sarcastically, then makes his voice an irritatingly nasally pitch as he imitates them. "Oh, Connor, you're going to be a daddy! Ha! Are you knitting baby clothes yet?!"
I snort at the ridiculousness of hearing that voice come out of his mouth.
"Come on, Connor. I won't be gone a week, and when I come back, the baby will be that much further along, and you'll just be that much happier to see me." I smile weakly, and he sighs. I think he's going to give in... then he shakes his head.
"No, Hollie. No. It's freezing out... what if you lost the baby?" He places a hand worriedly on my stomach, but I jerk away.
"You can't keep me here, Connor! I'm not your prisoner!" I say shrilly, and he raises an eyebrow coldly.
"No... you're my wife."
I cry in outrage, and start to clamber to my feet. Again, the weight in my belly surprises me, and I fall back down before I can stand. He immediately leaps lithely to his feet and helps me gently off the ground. As soon as I'm up, I shove him away.
"Don't touch me!"
His eyebrows go up, and his eyes flash dangerously. "Well, isn't somebody a little moody today?"
I yell something incoherent at him, beating a fist into his chest. He doesn't even react.
"Connor, you ass!" I roar, and a snarl forms on his face. "I'm going whether or not you want me to!"
He shakes his head slowly, and his stature shifts slightly into that predatory stance. The hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, and I shiver at the flames burning in his eyes.
"Oh, yeah? Well, if it's that way, then let's see how you like it in the dungeons!"
Silence.
"You. Wouldn't. Dare." I growl, and his eyes spark again.
"Try me."
I grab the nearest pillow and throw it at his head. His hand shoots up and plucks it out of the air before it can even get close. He raises an eyebrow, glancing from the pillow, then to me, snarling at him from across the room.
"Oh... Hollie, I think you just crossed a boundary." He growls, his voice low and menacing. "Maybe we do need some space...."
"You're an ass." I sneer at him, and his face remains darkly angry. "You know what? You would be a terrible father! I don't want to be carrying your child. I never did. And I can only hope to God it doesn't turn out like it's father!"
I regret the words the moment they leave my mouth. His eyes seem to cloud up, and his face abruptly becomes an emotionless mask. Not before he winces in pain, though. He looks at me blankly, and I suddenly want to take it all back. But I can't find the words. He just shakes his head.
"Hollie... I want to pretend you didn't mean that... but you know as well as I do, that you did." He swallows suddenly, turning away and wiping his eyes. When he looks back at me, his eyes are cold and hard.
"This was too early, for both of us. We're not ready for any of this, Hollie. I thought it was love... but perhaps that was just my hormones getting the best of me."
My heart pangs, and I want to throw myself at him and sob into his chest. To ask forgiveness. But I can only stand there as my heart is ripped in two.
"Nice to know, Connor." I gulp, blinking back tears. "Good time to tell me that you don't love me... once you've already gotten me pregnant."
Then I turn and slam the door behind me.
I storm down the tower staircase, and before I know it, the tears are streaming uncontrollably down my face. I sob quietly, hoisting my dress up and running as fast as I can with my swollen belly.
He told me he loved me. He made me believe it, too. I told him I'd loved him... and I had. Then he'd put a child in me, and everything was going to be perfect....
I can't think anymore.
Connor has become my entire life, I realize. The father to my firstborn, my love and source of pleasure, and even as the bandit, the sustenance of my whole being.
Who am I without him?
I sob louder, now, shoving past servants and holding my belly as I come close to throwing up. I don't know where I'm going... just... away. Away from him, the hatred in his eyes, the disapproval of my mother... away from everything.
Then I'm running through the fields, towards the horses. I'm going to run away, to disappear, and see if he misses me then.
"Hollie!" My mother's voice penetrates my sobs just as I reach my horse, and I look up at her, gasping as I cry silent tears.
"Oh, Hollie!" She wraps me in her embrace, holding me close like she used to do, all those years ago. Back when I was her daughter, and not Connor's wife. "Hollie, sweet, sweet, Hollie... I didn't know you were this upset about not coming with me-"
"It's not just that...." I mumble into her shoulder, bawling my eyes out. "He... he's an ass, mother...."
"What did he say?"
"He-he said he didn't... didn't love me...." I gasp out, and my voice cracks, making me wail all over again at the painfully fresh memory.
She frowns, holding me and looking into my eyes. "Sweet... I don't like him much... but that doesn't sound like Connor. What did you say to him?"
I bite my lip, sobbing quietly, and look at my feet. "I... I told him that I didn't want to have his baby. I said to him that he would be a... a terrible father, and that I hoped the baby wouldn't be like... like him."
Silence.
She strokes my hair gently, looking at me with pity. "Hollie... I'm not saying I'm going to forgive him, for any of this-" She looks at my belly pointedly. "But... not everybody is perfect, sweet. If you get on his temper like that, you can't expect him to only stand there and take it."
I sob harder. "But mum... I think he meant it...."
"Did you mean what you said?"
I blink, wiping the tears from my eyes. Then, slowly, I shake my head. "No, never... I don't even... I don't even know why I would say those things to him...."
She combs my dark hair back from my face with her fingers. "Then, dear... I've seen the way he looks at you. That man is in love with you, head over heels, don't ever doubt it."
I shake my head, almost wanting to deny it. But her words comfort me.
"Is this your first fight?" She asks after a moment. I shrug.
"We've had... two... ever," I explain. "But, yeah, this is the first one in a long, long time... the first one since we've gotten close, at least."
She nods. "Sweet, I know you think you hate him right now. I'm sure he's up there hating himself. But give it a few days, and it'll all settle over."
"How do you know?" I insist. She speaks softly.
"You don't think I never fought with your father?"
I frown. I never considered that before. Do all couples fight?
"Hollie... he loves you. That's the only thing I like about him. And I'm sure he'll be begging for your forgiveness in a few days, once he's worked himself over. That's just the way these things go. You live so close to someone for so long, you can get a little cranky...."
I nod, then grab a saddle from a rack and swing it onto my horse's back. Mum eyes me.
"I'm going to Prenner." I announce, and she clasps her fingers nervously.
"But, sweet... you really need to listen to Connor, he is your husband...."
"You were just saying that we needed some space!"
"Yes, but...."
"Mum." I look her in the eye, and make my decision quite clear. "I'm coming with you to Prenner, whatever Connor says, because I want to. And nobody tells me what to do."
She bites her lip, glancing nervously toward the castle, then gives in.
"Alright... I never could win an argument with you."
"You won one." I point out, swinging up into the saddle. "Remember? I got married, and I wasn't the one who arranged it."