(7a) 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Planning A Novel

Whether you're a plotter, a pantser or somewhere delightfully in between, everyone needs to plan their novel. But as with all creative endeavours, there's no 'right' way to begin writing.

A plotter may opt for an in-depth scene breakdown, while a pantser may furiously jot down a series of random notes or ideas in their closest notebook.

Whatever approach you take, there are a number of novel planning oversights that can lead you to a world of hurt.

In order to make your first draft as complete and painless as possible, here are the top five serious mistakes to watch out for, and why you should avoid them.

Mistake #1: Choosing Not To Plan At All

One of the biggest mistakes a writer can make is diving into a new project without knowing the premise well enough.

Even the free-spirited pantser would do well to nut out the central concept of their novel before diving head-first into the abyss of creativity.

In regards to fiction writing, the premise is usually a one-sentence summary of your protagonist, their goal, and the situation or obstacle they face. Failing to have this basic framework in place runs the risk of your novel having:

•  a weak or confusing throughline;

•  a plot that cannot carry the length of the narrative; or

•  plot hole upon plot hole upon plot hole.

Without any sort of outline or notes recording the main story beats, it is easy for the plot to become meandering, convoluted and even nonsensical.

Likewise, if the premise is not strong enough to span the entirety of a novel, you may fall back on narrative 'padding' before reaching the conclusion.

Subplots and 'sidequests' have their place when they are supporting the main story or developing characters, but if they're just written to fill pages, then you're wasting your time and that of your readers.

Planning the important facets of your story before putting pen to paper will help you avoid accidentally writing yourself an aimless hole, and reduce the number of necessary redrafts in the future.

Mistake #2: Ignoring the Importance of Character

So you've taken your time developing a killer plot with more twists and turns than A Song of Ice and Fire. You're good to go now, right?

Well, not quite yet.

All novels require a cast of compelling characters to guide your reader through the story.

Even in the most seemingly plot-driven novels or series, good authors invest a lot of effort in crafting a range of characters, each with individual character arcs that see them grow and develop throughout the course of their epic quest.

Successful novels see story arcs and character arcs run side-by-side, and it is a gross mistake to ignore either one.

When you sit down to plan your plot points, remember to keep your characters and their role to the forefront of your mind. Who are the mains? The supports? What are their motivations, their faults?

Creating authentic characters and exploring how they change through their interaction with the plot is a crucial component of novel planning, and should not be overlooked.

Placing all emphasis on the story alone can leave you with flat, boring drones in place of a colourful cast, and will often deter the reader from finishing the novel – regardless of how compelling a plot you have devised.