(6c) 8 Secrets To Writing Strong Character Relationships

Start from the beginning

Avoid using dialogue as:

•  Sites of 'information-dump' — think of the endings of crime shows where the detective unravels the whole mystery in a long stream of dialogue

•  Blocks of unnecessary utterance — a trap some writers fall into when they try to create 'authentic' dialogue by reiterating verbal interactions in real life down to its finest of details

Readers want authentic dialogue, but this dialogue should always play a role in developing plot, characters or character relationships.

Aim to write dialogue that is purposeful. Think of dialogue that incorporate actions (whether it be a lingering glance or a re-adjusting of the collar) or dialogue that intrigues the reader and prompts questions.

Let's take the example of a male colleague who is always rude and snappy towards the protagonist. Ask yourself the questions a reader may ask:

•  Is it a secret love that he hides behind his cold and cutting words, or does he truly loathe her?

•  Is his dialogue genuine or deceiving?

•  What could the contrast between the overconfident way he speaks and the way he teases the hems of his shirt underneath the table mean?

•  What is he hiding from her?

•  More interestingly, how does the way he speaks vary depending on whom he is speaking to?

•  Is he more open to some characters than others?

And finally, what could all of this mean?

4. Internal monologues

Great stories reveal the depths of the human heart. This is where internal monologues become useful. What cannot be said in the dialogue that you do want to reveal about your character goes here.

Think of this internal monologues as a way of letting the reader take a glimpse behind the curtains of the main stage. What are your characters thinking that they aren't elucidating in their speech?

In some respects, internal monologues can become the reader's most intimate connection to a particular character. Granting the reader the power to enter a character's thoughts means giving them access to your character's rawest, most vulnerable states of mind. It means allowing them to gain insight into your character's true opinions of other characters.

Don't shy away from this opportunity. Rather, take advantage of it.

Use internal monologues as a method to reveal to the reader the biases and blind spots that drives a particular character and that in turn influences their relationships with those around them.

5. Backstories

A person's past is as fascinating as a person's future. "They have history". Three words that explain the air of distance and awkwardness lingering between two individuals. It's important to remember that your characters have a history that often transcends the boundaries of the story at hand.

Ask yourself, how do your characters' pasts intertwine with one another?

Think of Romeo and Juliet. While Romeo and Juliet did not share any kind of history prior to their first meeting, their respective families did. It was because of the enduring feud between the Montagues and Capulets that complications subsequently arose for the two young lovers.

This example demonstrates not only how your characters' backstories may play into each other (whether directly or indirectly), but also how this may in turn shape plot as well as the outcome of the story.