(6b) 6 Proven Ways To Add Romance To Your Fantasy Story

Start from the beginning

The slow burn is often coupled with other popular romance arcs such as 'enemies/friends to lovers'.

Like the established relationship, this type of budding romance can also affect the plot just as much as the characters (think Damen/Laurent in C.S Pacat's The Captive Prince trilogy).

But unlike 'instalove', where the characters are immediately and inextricably infatuated with one another, the slow burn has developed over time, making any influence over plot and character arcs infinitely more palatable.

This is quite often seen when a romance develops between two distinctly different personalities, as is the case with Agnieszka and the Dragon in Naomi Novik's Uprooted.

However, it's worth noting that the 'opposites attract' trope often relies on stereotypical characters (brooding male hero and manic pixie dream girl, anyone?).

Make sure you invest time in crafting an authentic cast with a range of unique characteristics to keep things fresh and engaging.

#3: Rekindle An Old Flame

If you're set on having had a quick-igniting passion, but want to avoid the danger of love at first sight, perhaps a 'rekindled flame' romance is the way to go.

All well-rounded characters have pasts, and the revelation of such is just as likely to produce previous loves as it is plot-twisting secrets.

The arrival of an old flame can certainly bring some tension to the table. It could even serve as a distraction that knocks your protagonist off their world-saving path.

While it may seem off-putting to effectively go backwards, the rekindled romance provides a great opportunity to add depth to your characters by fleshing out their past and paving the way for future development.

Be sure to establish a strong sense of chemistry between the two parties to keep readers on board.

However, it's worth keeping in mind that if the romance died because of questionable behaviour, you must ensure you're not romanticising a toxic relationship by pairing them together despite obvious red flags.

As tempting as it might be to dive lustfully into all the pent-up passion of an old romance, remember that broken hearts take time to heal.

What tore your two lovers apart in the first place will have a substantial impact on how long it might be before reconciliation can be achieved – if it's even possible.

In V. E. Schwab's Shades of Magic trilogy, despite the obvious feelings that linger between Alucard and Rhy, their relationship is not an easy fix.

Situations such as this can motivate your character to undergo a journey of self-improvement, or take a more active role in the plot of the novel in order to prove their renewed commitment.

If you take the time to explore the reasons the relationship failed in the first place, and provide enough evidence as to why it should continue, the rekindled flame can be as thrilling a romance as a first love.

#4: Use A Failed Romance

We're all about subverting tropes at Writer's Edit, and another big one you can play within your fantasy story is the concept of the 'one true love'.

As many fantasy epics feature the journey of a hero(ine) chosen to save the world, combining that with a destined soulmate can be a bit too much to take.

So, what if your earth-shattering romance just... fades out? And, unlike the rekindled flame, that's the end?

True to life, many breakups do not actually reach reconciliation or offer a second chance at love with the same partner. More often than not, the heartbroken parties go their separate ways.