Unknown number ( Xicheng)

Unknown number: Hi.

            Jiang Cheng scowled at the face of her phone as he sniffled. He angrily smeared the tears from his cheeks and snatched the phone from his bedside table.

Jiang Cheng: Who is this?      

Unknown number: Who is this?

Jiang Cheng: Yu Sheng , this isn’t funny.

Unknown number: Who is Yu Sheng?

Jiang Cheng: Don’t fuck with me. I know Lu Yan keeps stolen burner phones under your bed.

Unknown number: Should I call the police and report this Lu Yan for you?

Jiang Cheng: Fuck off, Yu Sheng. I said all I have to say.

            he switched off his phone and stuffed it under his pillow.

            “Wow,” Wei Wuxian gasped. “You really broke up with him?”

            Jiang Cheng stuffed his hands into his jacket pocket and glared out at the rain. “I can’t give him the things he wants.”

            “Oh, no. Was he banging on the ‘together forever’ drum again?” Wei Wuxian shook his head slowly. “He’s always been a little intense about you, Jiang Cheng.”

            “It wasn’t just that. He says he doesn’t care what he is to me so long as we can be close. And, honestly, I don’t think I like how that makes me feel.”

            “Have you spoken to him since Saturday?”

            Jiang Cheng sighed heavily. “He was texting me from one of those stupid phones Lu Yan sells on the side.”

            “What?”

            “I don’t know. It was weird.”

            “What did he say?”

            “Dumb stuff. He made a joke about the police? I don’t know, Wei Ying.”

            “That doesn’t really sound like Yu Sheng. He must be a mess.”

            “You know how he gets when he’s drinking.”

            “Well, at any rate, I’m your friend first and I just want you to be happy.”

            Jiang Cheng finally smiled. “Thanks, bro. I’m afraid I won’t have too many friends left once Yu shie hears. She’s weirdly defensive of her brother.”

            “I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Besides, he’s graduating this year anyway.”

            “True.”

            “In a few months he’ll be gone. I heard he got a job offer in xxxxx! He won’t even be in town.”

            “Yeah, I know. He wanted me to drop everything and go with him.”

            Wei Wuxian’s eyes widened. “What? That’s crazy!”

           Jiang Cheng’s stomach rumbled dangerously. He wanted to drop the subject of Yu Sheng altogether. “I’m starving.” he glanced up at the still-dark sky and his frown deepened. “We’ll have to brave this rain if we ever want to eat today.”

______________________________

Unknown number: Hi.

Jiang Cheng: Yu Sheng, I swear to god…