TWENTY THREE ; EREBOR

Start from the beginning

"Legolas." She breathed, and pushed herself off the ground to run towards him.

She wasn't quite sure what came over her, whether it was her overwhelming relief that he was alright or something else, but as soon as she reached the Elf, she enveloped him in a tight embrace. Magauna was aware almost as soon as she'd done it just how odd it was. But Legolas did not seem to mind, and instead returned the welcoming in full.

They stood like that with their arms wrapped around each other for what to them felt like forever, but in reality was only a mere few seconds. When they finally separated, they stared at each other for a moment, awkwardly, not knowing what to do or say next.

"You're alright." Magauna finally said, clearing her throat. "Good." She nodded. "Lost them, did you?"

Legolas nodded. "I did yes. Are you alright?"

"Uh..." Magauna looked down. "I've just almost been burnt alive, and then nearly died of hypothermia...but, yes, I'm alright." She smiled.

"Maggie!" Called Bofur from the boat. The Half-Elf turned around and saw they had almost pushed the boat off the shore and into the water.

Magauna turned back to the Elf. "We're headed for Erebor. I have to leave."

After staring at Legolas a moment longer, then she sighed quietly and turned away to start walking towards the others, only to have Legolas grab her arm.

"Peredhel," He said. She turned to face him again.

Legolas stared at her for a few moments, perhaps trying to work out what could possibly be his last ever words to her.

"Peredhel, nin mel."

(Peredhel, my love.)

Magauna's eyes widened. "Mana..." she took a step back from him. "N-no." She shook her head. "That's not..."

(What...)

"Maggie!" Called Bofur again.

She glanced back at him. "I-I have to go." She made to leave once again, but Legolas still held her back.

"What is so wrong with it?" He said.

Magauna didn't dare make eye contact with him. "So many things..." She whispered.

And just as quietly, the Elf whispered back. "Im ceri- ú- heni."

(I do not care.)

He started leaning forward. But Magauna's breathing hitched, and she stepped away again.

"Peircal, ceri- ú-." She whispered, almost fearfully.

(Please, don't.)

"Maggie!" Came the third call of Bofur.

Magauna stared up at Legolas for one last time before whispering "I'm sorry" and turning away from him. The boat and Dwarves had already made it off the shore, so Magauna had to splash through several feet of icy water before she could haul herself over the side and join her friends. As they headed out across the lake, Magauna cast one final glance behind her, seeing Legolas and Tauriel watching them leave, before she turned her back on the chaotic shore, and looking ahead with the others to the Lonely Mountain.