chapter 1 - season 1

Start from the beginning

"Do you need some water?" The boy asks, watching as you push yourself up into a sitting position, grabbing at the kids to tease them. "I'm good," you pant out, running a hand through your hair in an attempt to fix it. Xen chuckles, shaking his head as sets your tray of food down beside you. He shifts, kneeling in front of you on one knee. "Let me help," he utters, leaning in and reaching out, fixing your hair for you.

Your breath hitches and your face goes red, watching as Xen fixes your hair. His turquoise eyes meet yours and he smiles, pulling back. "Done," he nods his head. You blink for a moment before clearing your throat, "right, thanks." You reply stiffly. He hums, tucking a strand of your hair behind your ear before standing up and disappearing into the other room of the nursery. You can't fathom how much this guy makes you so nervous.

Yui then tugs at your sleeve, making you look down at her. "What's up?" You ask,

"Can I eat with you?" She asks, her big doe eyes looking at you with such innocence that it pains you to know she'll grow up and come to realise how screwed up the world has become. Nonetheless, you smile and nod your head in response. She giggles, skipping off to grab her bowl of food before plopping down clumsily next to you.

You begin to eat your own food, listening to the girl ramble on and on about her day, using her hands to gesture wildly in circles for expression. She was like an angel to you.

Yui was only five when you saved her from a bunch of vampires, it'd been a few months since then and now she'll be six this year. However, you stuck by her side ever since the day you rescued her, you visited her every day and took care of her along with Xen, the caretaker of all the kids in the nursery. Yui grew some kind of special fondness towards you and you could say the same, you know that you'd give anything to protect the girl.

"Y/N, Y/N, are you listening?" Yui's voice pulls you out of your thoughts, you slowly come back to reality and give her a small smile. "Sorry Yui, I'm just a little bit tired." You reply, she pouts and you and tugs at your sleeve. "Tell me about your day, Y/N." She says, you can't help but give in to her.

"Well, today I went out early in the morning, used my energy to fight some bad guys." You say,

"Did you win?" The girl's eyes sparkled, you chuckle at her and nod your head in response. "I did," You reply,

"But Y/N, you do the same thing everyday. Isn't it boring?" Yui tilts her head, looking up at you with innocence. You ponder over it for a moment. Boring, huh? You've never thought that something like fighting for your survival could ever strike the thought of being boring. You shrug your shoulders, "Not really," you answer, "I do the same thing everyday to protect you." You lean down and boop her nose with your finger.

Yui giggles, wiggling around in her spot. "Y/N is so cool, I want to be just like you when I grow up." She exclaims, her doe eyes sparkling with admiration for you. A subtle bitter feeling rises in you, you wish she won't ever have to grow up and see the monstrosity of this world. If she'd known about what you do and how you came to be who you are now, she'd be absolutely terrified.

A strained and forced laugh leaves your lips as you pat the girl's head. She giggles back, nuzzling into your hand, completely oblivious to everything. "You shouldn't want to be like me, Yui. Just be yourself, that's good enough." You tell her, she pouts at you with her jewelled eyes; full of purity. "But you're so cool! And strong! You're the best." She waves her hands around, oh but you are anything but strong. In fact, those in the Army would have called you weak, hell, your demon calls you weak. "No, you're the best Yui." You say, hugging the girl and squeezing her small body gently.

Yui laughs, patting your head rather harshly, not knowing that she's practically slapping you. "Y/N, you should sleep if you're tired, right? Mr. Xen always says to take a nap when we are tired." She tilts her head when you pull away.