➵ Chapter 43

Kurapika's eyes were no longer masked with lenses and gleaming a brilliant scarlet, shining brazenly, with a thousand shade of rage. His eyes were fixed on Feitan, who, despite at a clear disadvantage, stood fearless and unflinching.

It was evident that his aura was fading, slowly but surely. Although it didn't look like it at all. And boy, he looked pissed.

While Kurapika and Feitan were having their little moment, the rest were having their own little reunion with Itsuki and the blacked out Shitto. Kai glared daggers when Killua helped Itsuki down from his arms. Although the glaring quickly evolved to worry when Itsuki came into view. She was covered with injuries. Killua was especially restless when he inspected the range of bruises down Itsuki's body. Itsuki didn't miss the clenching of his fist.

Now Killua was pissed.

Aside from everyone being pissed, there were so many unanswered questions others wanted to ask Itsuki regarding the situation. But aware that there is currently a heartless murderer still standing not far away, itching to chop all their heads off, they swallowed back the questions for later.

Everyone was detached from their own thoughts when a distinctive clinking of chains disrupted the tension.

The chains dangled freely, fiercely from Kurapika's hands. He was ready to fight, ready to tear the spider into absolute pieces. Originally killing Feitan so soon wasn't part of his plan, but given the situation of Feitan's weak state, he wasn't going to let go of the chance.

"Stop!"

All turned their attention to the source of the voice, except Kurapika and Feitan. It was the person Itsuki didn't recognise. Her voice was urgent, her face desperate. "They're coming." Everyone stared at her.

"I hear five heartbeats, coming at an inhumane speed. They are less than two miles away. We cannot stay here any longer."

In an instant, and at the same time, everyone understood that there was backup, and it wasn't for them. An extra five phantom troupe members were going to arrive. Any minute.

They all looked visibly distressed.

And for all the right reasons. Just how the hell were they suppose to pull Kurapika out of this. A perfect chance to kill off one of his life long enemies. And given all the right advantages to kill Feitan? It was like a bargain.

A bargain that he cannot have.

"We have to go right now." The girl repeated, the sense of desperation in her voice spiralling.

Everyone was hopping on their feet, ready to bolt out of here. All except Kurapika. Who was in the middle of fighting. He was out of rational thinking. It was like he was in a trance.

"Kurapika!" Leorio had been screaming for the past minute, the sheer volume of his voice could break an ear drum. But it sure didn't get to Kurapika. He was far to focused in the battle. His strikes were vicious, unforgiving and getting faster every second, while Feitan is slowing down. It seemed that Kurapika could overpower him just by a little longer. But not until the backups arrive and they are all doomed.

Just as everyone are cracking their heads open for a solution. A faint blur sneaked out of the the group. Killua expertly appeared behind Kurapika and with a deftly blow on the neck, Kurapika limped into Killua's arms.

Everyone bolted.

The group only deemed themselves safe after what seemed like forever of running, now, the little group just made it to a small abandoned house in the middle of nowhere, planning to rest.