chapter 10

Not edited

The words don't register. They don't land until several hands managed to tug me away from Hunter. I strain, and I snarl as the hands succeed in dragging me further and further from the prone body on the ground. Words come to mind and leave my mouth in a quick burst like a gunshot. Though I have no idea what I say, the adults in the room do and I feel the mood drop. Hands tighten on my arms and shoulders, tight enough to leave bruises.

"He will die if you continue." A gruff male voice gowls, full of strain and anger. "YOU ARE KILLING HIM!" He practically shouts in my ear, still the words barely pierce the pleasurable fog swirling in my brain. "Hunter." The words are barely audible, but come in like a 5-tonne truck thundering right towards a cliff.

A breath leaves me, realising sinking in. Hunter's blood gushes from the multiple bite wounds. He was slowly dying with every laboured breath. 

NO! 

YOU ARE NOT LEAVING ME WHEN I FINALLY FOUND YOU!

My thoughts are swirling with ideas to stop the bleeding but are dismissed one after the other. 

BLOOD. 

MINE AND HIS MIXED LIFE. 

It is the thought that keeps returning, getting more assertive and more dominant and my body moves on its own. Moving my left wrist to my mouth I bite down hard enough to draw blood. The piercing pain helps clear the fog in my head and I calm down. My focus narrows down to Hunter and nothing else. 

HE NEEDS TO LIVE!!

My instincts scream at me to do something, whatever is necessary to make sure Hunter survives this. That means getting close to him so he can swallow my blood and replenish his own.

But that means the bond between us can't be broken anymore. It will be for a lifetime. It will be for all time. 

There is a small voice in the back of my head cautioning me about the dire consequences of my actions. Shoving the thought away I explode into sudden movement, causing the hands that grip my arms to loosen enough for me to break free. 

"Ainsley!" My name is shouted from someplace far away. "Don't! You are not ready yet!" The voice pitches in height with worry but I ignore it. Hunter is more important than that voice, far more important. There is no hesitation as I lower my face to Hunter's and once again I am struck by his beauty and the strong lines on his face. Tilting his head back slightly, I nudge his mouth open with my thumb and slowly dribble the blood in my mouth into his.

Please Live!!

Come on...Come on...

Work!! 

WORK DAMMIT!!! 

DRINK!!!

Despite my pleading, my shouting, my cajoling, Hunter does not move, does not swallow. Tears stream down my face as reality sets in, a life without Hunter, is a life not worth living. My thoughts turn dark and dangerous as my body sags over Hunter's. Sobs fill the room, it takes me a minute to realise they are mine, and they sound heartwrenching. How could they not, my heart is broken, torn from my chest, and lies gasping on the floor underneath me. Slowly dying, because of my stupidity.

"Hunter, you are my heart, the breath in my lungs, and the blood in my veins. How am I to live without you?" The words are barely a whisper, no sound left my lips but something happened. My bleeding wrist miraculously still is positioned above his mouth, still bleeding is struck with fangs.