Chapter Fifty-Three: Al, Tuesday

Start from the beginning

"No, actually, we want it to be a surprise."

"Uh..."

"Is that a problem?"

"Well, no, but... I'm not sure I'll be bringing the whole family. Logan might not want to come, you know teenage boys."

"I grew up with brothers, so yeah. Don't worry, you can always bring a substitute. Just let them know by email."

"Oh. Well, all right."

"One more thing: I know the invitation says black tie but I want to reinforce that it really is black tie. I mean tuxes and fancy dresses, here."

Al wondered if Daphne thought he didn't know what black tie meant. Certainly, he didn't attend such events on a regular basis, and maybe the clothes he wore were sometimes wrinkled because, as Rachel always told him, he couldn't wield an iron to save his life, and maybe Daphne noticed whenever they saw each other, and maybe his suit was from Tip Top Tailors, but he knew the calibre of guest this event would attract, and he knew how important it would be to dress well. "Will it be okay that I rent a tux?" he asked, trying to hide his irritation. "Rachel's already bought a fancy gown, she's looking forward to this more than I am, I guess I don't take her out to fancy dos that often."

Daphne barked a laugh. "Typical married man. Is she the type who likes fancy dos?"

"I think in her previous life, when she worked as an accountant at a big firm downtown, she might have attended business functions that required dressing up. She has a very good sense for designer clothing, and I think that's where it came from. Just before she reunited with me, though, her fortunes took a tumble, I won't go into it." He wouldn't go into it because he had no desire to mention the CEO, the grisly fate that befell him and what the LSDC had to do in the aftermath. "Since then," he went on, "she hasn't found many opportunities to attend functions like this; her new workplace doesn't have the budget for them, and she's otherwise been busy with family life."

"Well, if she likes wine, she'll like this event."

"Oh, she likes wine, all right." He heard himself and chuckled awkwardly. "Shoot, sorry, that made her sound like an alcoholic. She's not an alcoholic."

"I believe you. Just from the times I've seen her she seems, to me, a capable, level-headed person."

"What about Emma? Should she be dressed fancy? I don't want her to feel self-conscious."

"You're a good dad, you know that? As long as her clothes aren't food-stained, I doubt anyone will care."

"I can't guarantee that. Her motor control isn't consistent." She knew about Emma's FAS diagnosis.

"If you'd rather not have her attend the party, maybe you can bring friends up with you and they can take her out on the town. Kelowna is a lovely city."

"That's an idea. I'll think about it."

"Okay, well, you have my cell phone number. Why don't you call when you've arrived in Kelowna and we can make arrangements. Have you booked a hotel? Unfortunately, all of Richard Junior's spare bedrooms are already spoken for."

This was what cousin status granted. He supposed he should be happy they got the invite at all. "Yes, we've booked a hotel in the city, we'll be fine."

"Fantastic. We'll see you then."

She hung up. Al went back to his desk and, after logging into his computer, he noticed a text on his phone from Agnes.

Lunch today?

Al smiled and texted back: I thought you were taking time off work.

My parents offered to come to the townhouse to babysit. I can't make any funeral arrangements yet, and I still need to work. I'm going for an interview for a full-time position and I don't want to miss it.