𝟬𝟮. people watching

CHAPTER TWO
it won't always go the way we planned it

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐌aybe Ji-eun was the crazy one. Not her reckless brother. Or her writer mother, whom she took her last name from. Because how could she promise the love of her life that she will always be careful when she constantly puts herself in the face of danger? Then again, if she didn't do that, everybody she loves and ever loved would be the one in danger.

     It had always been a matter of choice. And Ji-eun chose to be the protector.

     The moment Ji-eun realized the crime that happened was in Gook-du's investigation unit's jurisdiction━all she had to do was pull a few strings and found herself intertwined with their probably first big case. A complex homicide that they didn't know would turn into a full-blown serial case in the near future.

    There was one thing that bothered her. They barely have any evidence. There was no surveillance camera around, which tells her that the perpetrator was either familiar with the place or they had done their research and executed exactly as planned. It was a little too perfect to not be planned.

     Just who the hell could've done something like this? That woman she found was supposed to be married in two months. She could've had a long happy life ahead of her. Then some bastard in the middle of the night decides to murder her. For what? What was their motive? And how does this murder fit into the puzzle? Why this lady?

    The loud chatters around the precinct pulled her back to the real world. Unit Two, who had been assigned to the new case, was prancing around her. Ji-eun was not part of their team. In fact, she preferred operating on her own everybody just decided she was an independent detective who they can call up at all times.

     Besides, the higher-ups couldn't say anything since she was actually very good at her job. They even swore Ji-eun would topple over them in the future. They try to keep her in line to not let that happen, but the woman seems to have good connections with everyone around her and she just keeps rising and rising.

     The Chief decided to put Gook-du's team on the case to help Unit Two. Ji-eun could say she was... elated to work with her dearest old brother. Well, all spite and kidding aside, they needed a lot of help to solve this thing. She knew her weaknesses and some of them were Gook-du's strengths. 

      Speaking of her brother. The guy wasn't too thrilled to find out that she was the one who found the body in the middle of the night. Then again, Ji-eun bit back at the fact that he had left her at the Do residence just so he could pick up his pretty little girlfriend at her musical rehearsal.

     He didn't say anything after that. Ji-eun pridefully took that as his defeat.

    It was almost nighttime when Ji-eun finished all of her paperwork. She let out a small sigh and decided to clock in for the night as she began to pack up her things. The station was almost empty, too. A few police officers walked around in silence as they did their jobs. Some of them merely sent her an acknowledgeable nod.

     "Captain." A familiar police officer peeked from outside the room. He bowed ever slightly in respect before he continued. "A man is asking for you outside. He said his name is Do Bong-ki."

     "Oh, right." Her face lit up. Then she nodded at the officer. "Thank you, Sargeant. I'll be right out."

     "Yes, ma'am." 

     She exited through the front of the station, immediately finding her boyfriend leaning against his white Hyundai Sonata and wearing a beige coat over his work uniform. As usual, he looked handsome as always which was annoyingly often. Thank God she doesn't see him every day, because she honestly thought they would have like five children by now. Kidding.