Chapter Four

We spent the rest of the day brainstorming and coming up with ways to fix our beloved Invincible. Occasionally, I would feel his arms wrap around my waist and his chin rest on my shoulder. I felt bliss. A simple feeling, but it was something truly extraordinary. I was not only with the person I loved most, but I was finally happy.
That night, rather than Mark going into his cabin, he followed me into mine. I sat down in the bed, and notioned for him to join me. We laid down beside one another, our bodies under the warm, fleece blanket. I ended up scooting closer to him, gently placing my head on his chest. The sound of his heartbeat echoed through my ears as he cuddled me and messed with my hair. Each touch of his was gentle and light, almost as if I was a delicate porcelain doll. I lifted my head up, and I gave him a light kiss on his forehead. I could see that his face turned red as he returned one back to me, rubbing his thumb on my cheek after. As we both drifted off to sleep, I thought about what my old self would think of me now. If back then I would have known what I know now, would I have had more hope in myself? Would I be the same person I am today? Mark was the ray of sunlight I so desperately needed in my life. While everything and everyone around me felt blurry and dark, just being with him was enough to brighten up my day. Regardless, all that mattered was that I was in a better place. While the journey here was brutal, it was worth every second.