Chapter Three

====TIME SKIP TO IN SPACE===

I stepped out of my cabin and greeted Mark at the door. "Hello captain! Nice to see you this.. uh.. morning?" I waved hello and closed the door behind me.
I had recently started to feel something else around Mark. It didn't feel like just a friendship anymore. Each morning I would anticipate seeing him, and everything he did felt special. I tried to brush off these feelings, but whenever I was around him, it felt like I had fluttering butterflies in my stomach. I took a warm cup of coffee out of his hand, and made my way to the control center. He followed me in and took a seat down besides me, picking up some papers off of the table. While he worked on analyzing the documents, I thought about everything that had happened during the past week. I thought about all the times I had sent him out to go fix the faults in the ship, and how often I risked his safety. How could I be so cruel? I don't deserve him. Mark is the only reason I'm here, the only reason I left the deteriorating life I had back at home. I don't know what I would do without him. I snapped out of my daze when he turned to me and spoke words I wasn't prepared to hear.
"Captain, there appears to be a great calamity outside of the ship. Do you want to send me out again?" I recoiled in fear as tears began to fill my eyes. I didn't know why I was getting so emotional, but I couldn't control it.  "Mark, I can't have you do this again. Last time was risky enough, a-and I can't loose you..." I turned my head away from him so he couldn't see my face. My thoughts were now racing 100 miles an hour as I tried to comprehend what was going on. "Y/N, I'll be alright. I fixed our ship, and," he paused for a second to take in a deep breath, "and that's all that matters, right?" I could feel the tears starting to fall down my face as he finished his sentence. I wanted to scream. I wanted to yell out about how much more he meant to me than the ship, but I couldn't speak. I shook my head and covered my face with my hands. I felt his hand rub my back in his attempt to console me, but I had regressed into such an emotional state, it felt almost impossible to climb out. "Mark... I like you. I like you a lot. I can't have you go out again. I can't risk having you gone." At that point, I was talking in between sobs and heavy breaths, my eyes bloodshot from the tears. I was finally able to get a glance of Mark, and I could see my words had taken him aback. "Captain, I-I like you too. Ever since we met at the store, there was something about you I felt connected to." He pulled me into his body, his arms tightly wrapping around me. He held me tight, and, eventually, the comfort of being with him helped me to calm down. "I don't want to send you out, Mark. I will find any other way to fix the ship if it means you'll be safe." He placed his hand to my face and wiped the tears off my cheek. He smiled at me sweetly, causing me to laugh through my fit of crying. I placed my head into his chest, and gave my now boyfriend a large embrace.