Set 3

Ponytail begins talking rapidly, leaning forward, eyes focused on a hole punch on the desk. "It all started when I missed my bus, which wasn't my fault--but that's off topic. I was waiting to go home and Paper Clip was already there and--and I just lost control? But I was provoked, I swear. She can tell you that of course--"

"Hey, slow down. Give yourself a breath," She puts something into her computer. "Pippy--"

"Paper Clip," I correct her. It has been my nickname for most of the year so far, and I don't mind it.

"Sure. Why were you fighting? I know the two of you used to be so close. What happened?"

My head is down, and as I glance over at Ponytail, her eyes have found her lap as well. I understood in the heat of the moment, but now I feel guilty for bringing her into this. I look up. "I guess you could say that once, we were great together. Then, as time marched forward, we, um, grew apart."

She waits for a second, wondering if there is anything else to say. When I don't elaborate, she tells us how we'll need a ride home, how we'll spend some time in ISS for a few days. We go down to the office and the secretary hands us a paper from a filing cabinet to give to our parents, then we wait in the parking lot.

We sit on opposite sides of the front door. I stare at the clouds and she stares at her shoes. I can tell that tonight upset her, and I wish that we were still close. I wish I hadn't done what I did. About a week ago, I made a terrible mistake and told one of my close friends that she wasn't as perfect as everyone thought. I didn't mean to be offensive, but it must have come across that way. I guess you could say I was jealous of her. Always happy, perfect friends and family, although I still didn't lie. She was (and still is) under a lot of pressure from her parents.

I close my eyes, laying on the warm concrete of the sidewalk, fiddling with my paper clip. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you like that--"

But she was already gone.