Set 2

We both whip our heads around to see Mrs. Smith, a substitute biology teacher, come storming up to us with a fake blood sample in hand. "This is completely unacceptable!" There's
no point in arguing with her as she takes us both directly to the principal's office. When we arrive, we sit down in the chairs across from Principal Laney. It looked like she was getting ready to head home, things in hand, but upon seeing us, she sat back down.

"Now, I guess I'll just have to find out why in the world you'd still be here," she pushes her monitor and index cards to the side, and, with one glance at Mrs. Smith, gets up and takes her into the hall. With the door closed, I shift in my seat to face Ponytail. It's not a big room and there is one window facing the courtyard covered in leaves. I take my paperclip and flick it at her. It hits the side of her face and lands on the carpet. She looks at me and scowls. I can tell she is trying her best to ignore me, and not to cry (again). I hate that I still dream of old summer days spent with her by my side, dancing in the rain, sitting in the sun. I hate that I hurt for it.

The principal slams the door and wakes me out of my stupor. She's back in her chair by the time I look back up. "Well, this is quite interesting," she says, leaning back in her chair. "I would love to hear the story behind this."