"Thanks," she muttered. Midnight was slowly approaching, which meant they would go back to Four soon. However, nothing could be perfect. Just before Delia got to the siblings to tell them they had to get going, President Snow spoke up, getting everyone's attention.

He congratulated Dove on her victory and gave her his condolences for the loss of Alder, her lover. Or soulmate, as he stated. Lastly, he asked the new Victor to sing the song from the Games to the Capitol before leaving.

He was requesting, more like obligating subtly, her to sing Alder's song. She had already sung that during Caesar's interview. What was the need to do it again? To affirm his power. Dove thought. He wants to make me understand how he can ask me to do anything, and I would have to comply. What a fucking sociopath.

Dove walked to the performers' platform steadily, catching a few glances of her family and mentors on the way. Finnick's eyes were encouraging her, telling her everything would be alright, which somewhat calmed her nerves.

Was it that she always coincidentally found Finnick's eyes in the crowd, or was she purposely looking for them? Every time she saw him, something inside her calmed down. It was like a raging fire that ended up smaller than a spark when she spotted his sea-green eyes.

When she got in front of the microphone, the scene shocked her. Everyone in the room was staring at her, waiting impatiently for her to sing. She closed her eyes and breathed in, her thoughts darting from Four's beach to Finnick's eyes as she sang.

Once it was over, everyone clapped and cheered. Some demanded another song, but President Snow didn't acknowledge them and dismissed her, followed by a slight nod. He had seen enough. His puppet show had another participant, who seemed eager to prove its worth.

The way to the train was full of chatter from their escort with the crew. Ohan, who came along for the last festivity in District Four, chatted with Delia and the rest lively. Dove watched as the Victors made their own small-talk.

When the train took off from the station, everyone was quickly sent to their rooms. But, of course, not even half an hour after, Dove received a visit. However, it wasn't who she was expecting.

"Melo? What are you doing here so late?" Dove asked once she was out of the bathroom. Her brother was sitting on her bed with a worried expression plastered on his face.

"I wanted to see how you were doing. Tonight must have been tiresome," he commented, moving to his left to let her seat next to him.

"I'm not completely OK, but I'm getting used to this whole puppet show situation," she told him. Melo stared up and down at his sister. Sometimes even he forgot she was still fourteen years old. Although, she claimed to be fifteen already, even though there were almost three weeks until that day.

"Frankly, I'm not used to it myself. But I'm happy you're not in the same position as I am. I'm not sure how crazy I would become if you were," he muttered, clenching his hands together tightly as he tried to release his anger on himself instead of bursting in front of his little sister.

"Is it true? Is it true that you'll try to convince any person who approaches me with bad intentions to choose you instead?" Dove asked reluctantly. It was the last question she wanted to ask her brother, but her guilt was eating her alive.

"It is," Melo said, locking eyes with her as he replied. Dove, who had a troubled expression on her face, shifted her position, so she would be facing him, although her eyes remained on her hands. He copied her position, resting his left leg on the bed as the other was hanging to the side.

"Can I do anything so you don't do it?" She asked, to which he shook his head. It was the answer she expected from him, from everyone to be honest, but that didn't mean she was ready to accept it. "I guessed so," she whispered.