"Wish me luck?"I whispered.

"Good luck Joey, see you at the slumber party later."She teased biting her lip.

"You can bet on it."I replied kissing her lips softly.

Maya gave me a smile and one shy wave before skipping away to the stands to join her friends. I took a deep calming breath and walked into the locker room. It went deathly quiet as everyone turned to look at me. Everyone looked relived that I'd arrived except for coach who was glaring at me. I was pissed at him too so we had a staring contest for a few seconds that I definitely won because I refused to let him intimidate me after giving me wrong advise.

He didn't even acknowledge me, just continued running the play he had been explaining when I walked in. I shuffled closer to Wade who immediately elbowed me once I was close enough. I didn't even have to ask what I'd done do deserve his wrath. He was my captain and my best friend, according to him that is and me leaving so abruptly hadn't been fair to him. Sure we had other opposing tackles who played when I couldn't but there was a reason I was the best.

"You good?"He asked as we lined up to get into the field.

"Yeah, let's take this trophy home."I replied with a grin putting on my helmet.

"Hell yeah."He yelled excitedly when he saw the gleam in my eye.

I was definitely winning the game because there's no way I could let the chance of sleeping half naked next to Maya slip away.

We hyped ourselves up with a couple of chants before charging into the field making the crowd go wild. The home game was against Sunnyside High school Cubs. They were good and would make for good competition but we were better and refused to get beaten in our own field.

I looked at the stands and immediately saw Maya. I didn't even have to look much. It's like there was always a pull that connected us so that I could always find her. I blew her a kiss to which she caught and pressed against her heart. She was smiling, looking at me with pride and that look right there is why I was going to win the game. I wasn't angry at her anymore but I did want to make her proud so I would do my best. Not for coach, not for me but for her and that single look.

The team gathered in the middle of the field for the coin toss so I tore my eyes away from Maya to join my teammates. Once it was decided who was that we would be kickstarting the game, we huddled up to discuss our first play. We got into position and once the whistle was blown I got in place. I kissed my tattooed wrist, said a quick player and charged.

Three hours but what felt like an eternity later we had less than a minute left to the game and it was a tie. The Sunnyside High school Cubs had brought their A game but we weren't backing down. My whole body was aching but I refused to tap out. We had to keep that trophy home.

For the last play Wade called gap making sure that everyone understood their role. I popped a few knotted muscles and got into position. I looked at my opponent on the other team across from me and smirked. He got this scared look in his eyes boosting my confidence. Once the whistle was blown I charged sweeping him and two others off the field and taking them out of Wades way. They landed on the ground with painful grunts and I turned around to see Wade running with the ball across the field to the goal line.

"Touchdown."I yelled happily taking off my helmet.

We won.

I turned around to find Maya but came to face to face with a pissed off cub.

"Good game man."I expressed holding my hand out for him.

Instead of shaking it, he smirked and took off his helmet. I was too tired from the game to see the hit coming and even if I had seen it I wouldn't have moved quick enough to avoid it. He hit me square in the head with him helmet and I hit the ground hard. My ears started ringing and my vision became blurry. I heard a voice yelling my name out loud in panic before everything went blank and I passed out.