23: Said Bragging Rights

Start from the beginning

As more people began to file in, I was moved to a barback position, something I would never like to experience for the rest of my life. After two hours of constant running around, the bar was cleared. I collapsed on a bar stool and laid my head on the counter.

Not even five minutes later, a hand slammed on the counter jolting me up. "You could've given me a heart attack."

"No sleeping on the job." Gavin gave me a sickly-sweet smile and motioned for me to clean the floor area. I grabbed a rag and tossed it over my shoulder before placing a bin between the crook of my arm and my hip.

"Are there any girls here? I've seen nothing but guys. I feel all alone." I asked while stacking the bin with dirty glasses.

"The only girl that works here took her vacation early." I let out a breath and pulled my hair back before resuming cleaning the floor.

After a collective amount of sweeping and mopping, wiping down tables, washing and hanging glasses, refilling bottles, and calculating tabs and tips, we were all free to go. Lucky for me, I carpooled with Carter. Yay for saving the earth.

"Today is the first and last day I wear stockings." I let my feet sit on the side-view mirrors, feeling the rush of air going against my skin. "I don't know how you do it."

"Just change your sleep schedule."

"It's not that easy. You have to train your brain into a sleep habit." I informed.

"I didn't ask for the background."

"Hey, you learn something new every day." We pulled into the apartment complex. I ran up the steps, eager to get into bed and rest.

~∞~

"Shopping?" Lea stood in my living room standing idly by the wall.

"Yeah. I don't feel like going to the gym with these bozos again." She explained.

"Bailey, hurry up and make up your mind." Kyle said, frustrated.

"Sure. Why not? I'll just go change." I padded down the hall back into my room, and quickly changed into something appropriate for today's weather and activity. By the time I emerged, the boys were gone leaving Lea and I alone. "Any place in particular?"

"Westfield, I guess." I grabbed my keys and we were off to the mall. "I just need a day of rest and relaxation."

"Tell me about it." The day was easily spent walking about the stores trying, and sometimes buying, clothes that seemed worthy enough. "So have you decided if you're staying or not?"

"I'm leaving soon actually. I've got a few more weeks before I'm back to San Francisco." She explained while eating her pretzel.

"Let's hope you don't take Kyle's heart with you."

"I feel like I'm supposed to be offended."

"It wasn't intentional. It's just that I haven't seen him this happy since," I trailed off. "Well, now that I think about it."

"I've corrupted him haven't I?" She looked concerned.

"He just has his moods. They're pretty much up and down actually." I contemplated asking my next question before going with my gut. "What's the cause of you guys' rocky relationship anyway?"

"Some guy." She trailed, looking weary.

"A threat to Kyle's manhood."

"Not by much, I swear." I held my hands up in defense. "It's really complicated."

"That means the story's interesting." Lea laughed nervously before diving into it.

"Kyle's friend, Chase, is the reason why we're together." I motioned for her to go on. "He's also the reason why we keep breaking up."