Mid-February

Mid-February

I haven't been able to swim in the ocean for almost three months. It is usually recommended that you don't swim in the ocean past mid-December, but occasionally you have those days where the sun is sweltering and the temperatures rise above 80 degrees. Otherwise, you're screwed because the water is below 40 during the supposed winter months. Anyways, the point of all this is how cold the water is if you choose to take that jump (pun intended) and immerse yourself in the bone-chilling water; it jolts your muscles awake, and you are alert and aware of everything. That's what I need now, I need some arctic waters to wake me up, to bring me back to reality.

It's been almost twelve days since the whole incident at Minsky's. Tomorrow is the most romantic day of the year: Valentine's Day. And I--being the bitter and lonely soul that I am- -have chosen to participate in a horror movie marathon and do anything anti-love related on my I Hate Valentine's Day. I haven't had the best experiences with Valentine's Day. Two years ago, I spent Valentine's Day waiting around for Alex Andrews, when it turns out that he was actually spending quality time with the Tennis Captain (remember her) who was NOT his girlfriend. Two years prior to that, Grandma Joy had taken us to a local seafood restaurant, and I had ordered the Shrimp Special. I ended up hacking up all of it onto a nearby couple, but, hey, at least they got free leftovers. Grandma Joy, a 9 year old Colin, and I fled the scene after she paid the bill. Did I mention that all wine and alcohol are 50% off on this specific day, so if you can put two and two together, you can figure out that my dad was the first in line at the convenience store.

I text Carter: Do you want to meet up and talk? I'm not busy, r u?

A few minutes later a PING came from my phone, informing me that I have a new text message.

Carter: I'm sorry. Raincheck? I have loads of homework to do.

Me: How about tm?

Carter: I am busy this weekend. Again, sorry.

Well there goes my plans for this weekend. I hate Valentine's Day.