Chapter 28

My eyes fell to the bed.

And then the world stopped. Time froze, and the beeping of the hospital equipment was a background to the chaos of noise, so violently warping in my head as I took in the scene in front of me.

"No.. "

I felt as my knees buckled beneath me, and I heard the swing of the door open behind me.

The feeling of shock coursed through my body. My eyes stayed on the bed as my cheeks started to become wet with tears.

I felt Sarah's arms wrap around my back, and her head fell to the crick in my neck. " I'm so sorry, Savannah," she whispered in my ear.

I felt my body grow limp against hers.

" What happened? " I whispered, the blur of tears consuming my eyes, I burried my face into Sarah's shoulder, desperately wanting comfort.

Suddenly, someone spoke above the white noise, and their voice cracked an almost whisper. " It all happened so fast. " was all that they could utter. My eyes fell on the person. My grandmother.

" What happened? " I asked again a little louder.

" Savannah. He just really declined, and his breathing slowed. I had to call an ambulance this morning. I'm sorry that I didn't tell you sooner. " My grandma spoke, her eyes welling with tears.

" It's been such a hard day." She speaks, trying you can tell to hold back tears.

My eyes returned to the bed. My grandfather there, his eyes closed, a tube down his throat, and an IV in his wrist. " he's not breathing on his own. " My grandma spoke barely above a whisper.

It was as if my world was ending in front of me. All that cycled through my head were the same screaming voices of a child in a candy store.' This isn't fair! This isn't fair! None of this fair! ' it echoed like a broken record in my distorted mind.

" I wasn't there. " I whispered into Sarah's shoulder, my eyes squeezed tight, the tears wouldn't stop no matter the number of times I tried to wipe them away with my sleeves. My hair sticking to my freckled cheeks like glue. " Don't blame yourself, Savannah. " Sarah whispered back, her hand stroking my hair, getting tangled in the curls.

" I know, love. " She whispered, her hands still running through my hair. I felt my body shake in hers, I felt lifeless. I felt a dam of emptions break and release rapids of heavy emotion, and she took all of me all of my emotions and natural disasters. She held them firmly together.

" Look at me," she whispered, and I listened, my eyes falling on hers. She carressed my cheek, wiping away the tears and tucking my hair behind my ear. " You'll get through this. " she whispered softly, kissing my cheek and standing to her height, leaving her hand out for me to grasp, and I did.

" You're not alone. " she whispered, her hand now wrapped in mine. She held on tight, letting me know she wasn't letting go of me.

My eyes fell to his. They were closed. He looked as if he was already gone. His arms looked weak, his face expressionless. " Can he talk? " I asked, wanting to know. " No, but he can listen. " My grandmother returned.

I looked at him with sorrowful eyes, wanting nothing but for everything to be how it used to be. I feel as though I'm lost, searching for someone, anyone that can help. I wanted desperately the sound of the T. V, his quiet snores, the sound of tunes from an era I wasn't born in. Now, I only heard the beep of his heart, letting me know he wasn't gone yet. Still holding on. My eyes tugged, wanting to release more of my sea salt tears.

Someone had told me once that the last thing to go when you're dying is your hearing. Hell, it may have even been him that told me, but I kept that thought in my mind as I got closer to him.