»9«

My back hurts. I'm in pain no matter what I do. Whether I stand, sit, or lay down, whether I'm moving or staying still... Why did I do this again?

The plan was to put a little bit of distance between me and Hanamaki. But I can't. How was I supposed to do that? I don't want to stay away from him at all. Even if I've been acting strange lately, even if I'm at a higher risk of exposing myself for some reason, I can't.

So when he suddenly asked me if he could stay for the weekend, I didn't turn him down. I love spending time with him more than anything. And since we haven't discussed Oikawa or the things he said at all, it wasn't awkward between us.

It did mean three more nights on the couch, though. Hana tried to swap with me countless of times, but I refused. I want him to be as comfortable as possible, even if it costs me my back.

"Whew..." I sigh as I place myself on my chair. Finally, I can put my bag on the ground. The weight was killing me.

"You really should've let me carry that," Makki huffs. "You're like an old man right now. Stop pushing yourself."

As if he wasn't whining when he had to carry both of our bags last week. He isn't very strong, so I can't just push it onto him.

"I'll be fine," I assure him. "As soon as my back hits my bed, I'll be healed."

He chuckles. "Right. That's totally how it works."

An exhausted-looking brunet hurrying inside catches my attention, making me sigh. I'm really not up for his antics right now. Or ever.

Makki doesn't realize this. He's unaware of the knowledge the other possesses, and what he plans to do with it. In his mind, Oikawa wrongly thinks I'm in love with some girl, and has therefore shared his story with me. The truth is far uglier than that.

"Yo!" My best friend calls out to my worst enemy. "Didn't sleep very well, did you?"

With a sigh, Oikawa puts his gaze on us. "Maybe..."

I snort. What does he mean, 'maybe'? Those bags under his dead eyes say it all. What a perfect setup for me to make fun of him. "Did Iwaizumi keep you up all night?"

"Ooh~" Hanamaki joins, grinning. "You took Iwa home last Friday, right? Did you enjoy your weekend a bit too much?~"

He doesn't laugh, or whine, or yell. He doesn't react at all. Just an endless, tired stare. It makes the two of us frown.

"What happened?" In a more serious tone, I turn to face him properly. "Ow."

"I gave my life for you," he mutters. It's relieving, but worrying at the same time. He's probably fine if he can act like a drama queen, but the vagueness of his words stresses me out.

"How should I interpret that?" I raise an eyebrow. "Iwaizumi wanted to kill me because you clung to me so much, but you took the bullet?"

This doesn't amuse him. "Iwa wanted to kill me because I shared something with you that he doesn't know about. And you won't let me say anything."

I send him a subtle glare. "There's nothing to tell him."

"Ah, we had the same thing happen, actually," my best friend suddenly speaks up, exposing me in a way I never expected him to. For the first time since Friday, he discusses what we had been keeping silent about. "I thought you two were hiding something as well! It's because you say a lot of weird things, you know."

The life in Oikawa's eyes returns after hearing this. He moves his gaze to me, showing me the joyful sparkles that dance in his brown irises. "Ohh, is that so? Did you get jealous, Makki?"