Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

In Jason's car, Avery buckles her seatbelt.

'Go, go, go.' She tells him quickly.

'What the-' Jason starts to say.

'Go!' Avery urges him.

'I was your getaway driver in L.A.' Jason raises an eyebrow. 'I'm not being it here. What did you do?'

'Nothing.' Avery states innocently.

'Ave.' Jason raises an eyebrow.

'Jase.' Avery also raises an eyebrow. Jason gives her "the stare" and she sighs. She goes on to explain what happened.

'So you ran because you're a devious little shit and wanted to get out of the consequences?'

'Please.' Avery scoffs. 'With T.K. there are no consequences.' She continues. 'He loves me too much.' Jason puts the car into gear and starts driving.

'God, I can understand why you get on their nerves so much.' Jason mutters under his breath.

.

It's the next day, Avery and Megan are out shopping using some money and vouchers Avey had gotten for her birthday. By around lunchtime, they're finished shopping so they decide to go and grab some coffee and sandwiches from Starbucks before they head to the fire station as Avery had agreed to meet Owen and T.K. there. Avery is walking out of Starbucks with the coffees and a brown paper bag when she sees Megan talking to a woman. Just before she reaches them, the woman hands an envelope to Megan before rushing away.

'Who was that?' Avery asks as she joins Megan.

'My mom.' Megan replies quietly as she glances down at the envelope. When she looks back up, she finds that her mom has disappeared. Avery hands Megan her drink and she takes it as she places the envelope in her pocket.

'What did she give you?' Avery asks as they start to make their way to the 126.

'I don't know.' Megan shrugs. 'I'll have a look when we get to the station.' Sensing that Megan didn't want to talk much about it right now, she changes the subject as they carry on walking.

.

A little while later, Megan and Avery are sitting by the trucks in the station whilst the crew do equipment checks and cleaning. Avery catches Megan looking down at the letter she had received earlier, still unopened.

'Do you know what it could be?' Avery questions.

'No.' Megan mumbles, shaking her head. She opens the envelope, takes the letter out and starts reading it.

'It says Craig isn't my real dad.' Megan says in disbelief. Megan has told Avery about her "family" situation before, so Avery knows what she is talking about.

'What?! Does it say who it is? Or who it could be?' Avery asks as Megan continues reading the letter.

'Some guy from L.A. Mike Leighton.' Megan reads the name from the letter.

'What?!' Avery exclaims as Megan shows her the letter.

'Do you know him?' Megan asks hopeful, knowing that Avery is from L.A.

'I recognise the name but I can't place why.' Avery says.

'It says that my mom listed Craig as my father on my birth certificate because she never told Mike and she was already pregnant when she started dating Craig.' Megan explains, reading the letter. 'This changes a lot. It changes everything. Craig wasn't my dad but this Mike guy might be.'

'You do realise that if this is true you might have a whole ass family out there, right?' Avery states the obvious but all Megan can do is nod and keep looking at the letter.