So, when should we use a prologue?

I mean, honestly, I want to say that... if you feel like you need a prologue, go for it. That's really the bottom line. It's your story, and if you feel a prologue suits it, then you do you bestie and have fun with a prologue!

Overall, though, you should ask yourself the following when considering a prologue:

Do I need it? Is it purposeful?

Do I have crucial background information the reader needs to know before I start the story?

Do I have a creative, gripping way to execute it?

Will my first chapter be equally as strong?

Does it make my reader want to read on?

If you answer any of those questions with a 'yes', then a prologue could work! But the most important question:

Will my story make sense without it?

If the answer is yes to that question, then you probably don't need the prologue.

However, you must make sure your first chapter does not pale in comparison to your prologue. If it does, then we may have problems, because we have this enticing prologue followed by... yawn, something very boring. Like reading a story about evil shoelaces strangling wolves, and then being forced to read the dictionary.

But, basically, if you need to get some context introduced before your story, or you have this amazing and exciting idea of how to really lure your reader in before they even meet your protagonist, a prologue could suit you!

However, if you do not have a prologue, that doesn't mean your story is lacking in any way. It just means that you didn't need one, based on how your story is structured!

And now, for the most hefty part of this story:

How do I write a good prologue?

We've all seen some prologues that have genuinely had us on the edges of our seats, ready for more. But we've also had some that made us go... well, why was that necessary?

So, here are some tips on how to write a good prologue!

- Do not info-dump.

I know I said that you can use prologues to help set up concepts your story has. But this does not give you permission to info-dump. Ever. Do not make it too much, and do not make it overwhelming for the reader.

- Make it contrast your first chapter.

I mean, if your first chapter picks up from the prologue with the same setting and characters and perspective, then... well, what was the point? If it feels like it could have been chapter one, while your real chapter one could have been chapter two, then definitely reconsider whether it should even be a prologue. Your prologue should be very different to your chapters.

- Make it gripping.

Seriously. Make it emotionally investing. It is essentially replacing your first chapter, so you need it to be masterful in capturing their attention. Establishing an emotional connection and a desire for more is what you need here to make a prologue work.

- Don't make it too long.

On average, prologues are shorter than chapters. Don't make it too long. It should not drag. Please.

- It should still introduce key features within your story. It should still be relevant.

Like, if your story is a historical fantasy about vikings... maybe don't make your prologue about someone buying a new pair of sunglasses. Unless... you... somehow made it... tie in. I won't question it. But still!