TWENTY-EIGHT | FROM NOW ON

If Isla Rothschild could give one piece of advice to other women who were tiring of their husbands, it would be this:

In the event that you decide that you really ought to just get rid of him, consider seducing him right beforehand to get his guard down.

After all, it worked for her.

The show was nearly over at this point, so Cora's skin was covered in a thin sheen of sweat. Rasmus was equally warm, his skin burning as she cuddled up next to him in the bed.

"You are the most magnificent thing in the world," he murmured to her as Theo. "I can't imagine being with anyone else but you."

Liar. But no matter—the knife was already beneath Isla's pillow. She smiled.

"I love you, darling," she cooed back, carefully propping herself up to kiss him. As soon as she saw his eyes flicker shut, as her lips were already grazing against his, she slipped her hand under the pillow.

And when her fingers wrapped around the hilt of the knife, she whispered, "But I'm not sorry for this."

By the time he could realize what was happening, the blade was already buried in his chest. Cora heard a couple of gasps from the audience as the fake blood started trickling down her hand, as awful choking noises started coming from Rasmus' mouth—which, to his credit, were quite convincing. She alone was close enough to see him bite down on the pill that was hiding under his tongue, releasing the red liquid contained inside to stain his lips and make it look like he was coughing up blood. In reality, he was getting a treat—it was dyed chocolate syrup.

His body slumped against hers, his head falling against her shoulder, and she carefully took him in her arms and leaned him back against the headboard. One time in rehearsals, she'd accidentally done that part a little too aggressively and slammed his head against the wood with a painful-sounding thunk.

But tonight, Cora felt a pang of sadness in her heart as she did it. Huh. Doing this scene had never made her upset before; in fact, it had given her a little bit of glee. And yet for the first time, she truly felt a little bit of Isla's guilt as she shakily clambered to her feet and wiped the bloodied knife on the hem of her white nightgown. Even insidious Isla regretted delivering the ultimate betrayal. Had she just made a terrible mistake? Had she allowed her sisters' voices to get too far into her head?

Theo might have been a monster, but he was still her husband.

Rasmus might have been horrible in the past, but he was still a human being. Maybe all he needed was one more chance.

Cora was beginning to understand what people meant when they said that life imitates art.

After the show, when Anais had already left with her costume and Cora was removing all of the makeup that was somehow still caked on her face despite her feeling like she'd sweated out her body weight in water, there was a knock on her door

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

After the show, when Anais had already left with her costume and Cora was removing all of the makeup that was somehow still caked on her face despite her feeling like she'd sweated out her body weight in water, there was a knock on her door.