Chapter 32 ~ Welcome to the team

Start from the beginning

"You sure are making a statement with that crown," he commented quietly in her ear, sending shivers down her spine. Loki gently placed a hand against the back of her ribs and pushed her forward when her stride faltered the slightest, keeping the conversation on moving foot.

"If they are portraying me as a pretty face, I want to at least look like an important one," Reyna explained.

"Smart little vittra," Loki praised, and Reyna could feel his smirk. That little bastard knew exactly what he was doing.

"I know," Reyna agreed as a matter of fact. "Are you ready to face the press of Midgård?"

"Can't be worse than a day at Asgård's court, I'd imagine," Loki shrugged, sounding more confident than he felt

"I'm scared too, Loki, but I'll have your back, and you'll have mine. You know, from one auctioned horse to another?" She reassured him, nudging him with an elbow.

"Of course. Though I believe you are more familiar with this environment than me," Loki pointed out. Reyna shrugged.

"I guess. Come on, let's not keep the team waiting." The Latina took Loki's hand and dragged him down towards the garage where the rest were already loaded into the giant SUV. They crammed themselves inside, shut the sliding door, and Happy revved the engine. Wanda, who sat next to Reyna, gave her a teasing and knowing look.

How's the situation with Mr. Tall, dark, and handsome?

Oh, shut it.

The trip didn't take too long, only about an hour, but it felt like an eternity to the nervous mutant, spending the entire journey picking at her armor. She tried to distract herself by looking out the windshield, but her leg still refused to stop bouncing. Suddenly, a tentative hand was placed against her bouncing knee, and in an instant, it stopped moving and her anxiety calmed. The nervous woman zoomed in on the hand, then looked up at its owner; Loki was looking out his window, seemingly not paying her any mind, but the hand on her leg told another story. She smiled softly and turned back to look out on the street, placing her hand on top of his.

When the car finally parked outside the giant skyscraper, they all filed out of the cramped vehicle and into the sea of reporters. In an attempt at avoiding attention, the two mages opted to not get out first or last, but unsurprisingly, they drew the cameras to themselves like moths to a flame. Reyna and Loki adopted their usual tactics; straightening their backs, raising their heads, and hiding any sign of discomfort behind a neutral mask. Once inside, some slightly wide-eyed staff led them to a room behind the stage before scurrying off to do something else. Reyna could hear the buzz of voices become louder on the other side of the wall and with it the heat of her anxiety. Loki threw the mutant a glance, finding the otherwise confident woman staring out into space. Her hands were furiously rubbing up and down a particularly sharp patch of armor close to her wrist, desperately trying to use it as a distraction. Loki made a move to get closer to her, but Steve's voice cut his plan short.

"Is everyone ready?" Reyna seemed to snap out of her daze and her hands stilled.

"As ready as we will ever be," she sighed. Natasha placed a hand on her shoulder.

"You'll do great. Just keep your head cool, and everything will be fine," she reassured the Latina, who smiled slightly in gratitude before zoning out again. Steve and Tony went up on stage, and the Captain began the speech. Loki moved then, placing himself right behind Reyna's left shoulder.

"You're alright, little vittra," he whispered as he snaked a large hand around Reyna's smaller one, healing the torn skin on her palm and vanishing the blood.