CHAPTER 35: CONFRONTING JADE

Zacznij od początku

"He showed me what he could do—the promises were not false."

"They were! He tricked you and you fell for it. The only way to cleanse the forest is to cleanse it of you. And for that, you are banished. You must leave."

"I am queen. I decide what is best for my people. I welcomed you with open arms, and look how you have squandered my hospitality. I am going nowhere. You have no authority here."

"Mother—"

"No authority? My authority comes from the King Tree. You should be relieved, considering what the Tree truly intended for you. I picked the more humane of two options."

"The Tree would never speak to you, a halfbreed—"

"The Tree did speak to me. How do you think I got the staff?"

"Because you are a thief!"

She's trying to rile you on purpose, Cyrus pointed out.

Claire closed her eyes for the briefest of moments, willing herself to calm. Arguing would get her nowhere. Already the crowd was looking at Jade with expressions of horror and disbelief, but Jade hadn't noticed. She wasn't sure why, but Claire wanted to preserve what little dignity the Sprite queen had left. "I think it might be best if you go quietly." She kept her voice low.

There was nothing more to be discussed. Nothing more to say, save the words of banishment that would formally bear down on Jade and force her to depart from her home. These were words she took no pleasure in giving. But she didn't allow herself to think about what it might be like, forced to go, forced to say goodbye to something she would never see again.

Thoughts like that dredged up too many of her own memories. Memories of saying goodbye to the farm, even though she thought she'd someday return. She never would. That was too hard to stomach.

"Queen Jade Siraye," she said, using the queen's full name. "I hereby—"

"No!" Jade screamed. The queen lunged, something shinny glinted in her hand. Claire's eyes widened, caught off guard. She sidestepped, trying to dodge the sudden attack. But Jade was faster. Thousands of years of training would always give her an edge, even with Cyrus living in her. Jade whirled around grabbed a handful of Claire's hair, wrenching her head backward, planting her dagger blade at Claire's neck. There was a prick of pain. A bead of blood trickled down her skin.

Claire froze, sudden fear biting her. Her breathing heightened. Jade tightened her fist, pulling hard. She smothered a whimper as pain shot across her scalp. It was nothing like the pain Kane had subjected her to.

"Drop the staff," Jade snarled in her ear. "Drop it or I will slice your neck clean open." Claire hesitated, then opened her hand and let the weapon fall. The loss of its presence was immediate. Her hand felt empty, cold. Her body—less powerful.

"Mother, please," Feowen shot forward, trying to push through the magical barrier that still stood in place. "Unhand her."

"Silence, Feowen." Jade barked a laugh. "My own son, turned traitor. I always thought it possible of Taylynn. But never you."

"Mother..." But Jade had already turned her attention away from him.

"This woman has attempted to take my throne. She is a traitor to our people, and as such, must suffer the consequences. But I am merciful. I will merely banish her, and spare her life." Whispers heightened around the crowd.

Claire's eyes were squeezed tightly shut against the pain along her scalp, but a tear freed itself. Not because of the hurt Jade was causing—or the implication of what the queen planned. Not because of the layer of broken skin beneath the blade in Jade's hand where another trickle of blood was making its way down to her collarbone.