Chapter 76-80

Chapter 76

Maria had previously asked Franklin for Gary's number. When the latter answered, she rudely snapped, "Do you know the time now? How much longer do you want me to wait? You don't even care about punctuality! Don't forget that it's your family begging me for a favor! Yet, you want me to wait?"
She hung up right after saying that without giving Gary any chance to respond.
Meanwhile, Gary was stunned for a long while after the phone conversation ended. Embarrassment showed on his face, and he felt chagrined at having been lectured by the young Maria at his age. But recalling that Kai had to depend on her to recommend him a job, he endured the humiliation.
"Who was that on the phone, Dad?" Kai queried.
"It was Maria. She's already waiting downstairs, so hurry up and go down. Remember to speak nicely to her."
Gary started urging him to go downstairs.
After Kai went downstairs, he saw Maria waiting at the entrance. Hence, he went over to her and murmured apologetically, "I'm sorry to have kept you waiting."
The moment Maria spotted him, she promptly barked with fury etched on her face, "If it weren't for my father's orders, I wouldn't have come to pick you up! Look at your dressing! What era is that suit from? How dated!"
Kai's brows furrowed slightly, but he suppressed his anger and explained, "I bought it three years ago, but I've never worn it, so it's still new."
"New my foot! No young man in this era would wear such an old-fashioned suit!" Maria curled her lips derisively.
"T-Then, should I go back up and change?" Kai questioned.
"Forget about it! There's no time for that when it's already late now! Hurry up and get into the car!" Maria opened the car door with a frosty expression and climbed into the car unceremoniously.
Kai wanted to sit in the passenger seat, but Maria snarled at him when he opened the car door, "Sit in the back! Do you think you're worthy of sitting in the passenger seat?"
At that, Kai frowned again though he did as ordered and slipped into the back seat. Without even waiting for him to settle, Maria floored the gas pedal.
It was fortunate that he knew martial arts, or he would have slammed into the front seat.
"Remember that you can't mention anything about being acquainted with me when we arrive at the office! Also, I don't care whether you pass the interview. Don't expect me to help you either! It's already benevolent of me to recommend you for an interview..."
Maria rambled on and on during the drive, mainly forbidding him from saying that he knew her because she was afraid that he would embarrass her.
"Okay." Kai merely gave her a placid one-worded reply.
In no time, they arrived at Maria's company. It was a corporate group with more than a dozen floors in the entire building.
"Sentiment Chemical Limited? This company belongs to the Sullivan family?" Kai stared at the gigantic signboard of the company with his head lifted, a frown marring his countenance.
If my memory serves, Sentiment Chemical Limited belongs to the Sullivan family. I remember Josephine saying that William established it on her birthday as a birthday gift for her!
Indeed, Josephine was the Chairman and legal person of that company. However, she didn't participate in its management and rarely visited the office.
"Yes, this company belongs to the Sullivan family, the wealthiest family in Horington! It's a great honor to be able to secure a job here. The pay and benefits are far better than other companies!" Maria declared proudly.
Kai merely smiled without commenting further. He then followed her into the building.
As soon as they reached the entrance, they saw a tall and handsome young man in a suit standing by the door. That was none other than Maria's boyfriend, Zayne Carlson.
"Why are you so late today, Maria?"
When Zayne caught sight of Maria, he immediately went up to her with a bright smile.
"Ugh! Did you have to remind me of that? My father asked me to pick up his comrade's son, so I'm running a bit behind."
Maria pouted, making it clear that she wasn't in that great a mood.

Chapter 77

Zayne cast a look at Kai behind Maria, upon which a glimmer of disdain flashed across his eyes. Then, he took Maria's hand and started striding forward.
Kai could only trail behind them while Zayne and Maria whispered among themselves.
"If you don't want him to work here, I'll just fail him during the interview later. Anyway, I'm doing the interview today," Zayne murmured.
"Don't make it too obvious. Otherwise, my father is going to take me to task again if he complains to his father. He had just gotten out of prison, so turn him down on that basis," Maria instructed in hushed tones, leaning close to his ear.
They were afraid that Kai would hear them, but unbeknownst to them, Kai caught the entirety of their conversation. After all, his hearing was far superior to the average person then.
Behind them, the man chuckled coldly. I don't give a whit whether I can pass the interview! I'm just going through the formalities.
When they had reached the floor where the sales department was located, Maria pointed at Zayne and said to Kai, "Go with him. And remember what I told you—don't tell anyone here that you're acquainted with me!"
Kai nodded in acknowledgment before following Zayne to the office where the interview would be held. By then, a crowd was already waiting outside, all there for an interview. Since it was a corporate group, it paid well and offered great benefits. For that reason, many people wanted to join the company, including graduates from prestigious universities.
"Wait outside. Someone will call you later."
Zayne strode into the office after saying that. Kai, on the other hand, plopped down onto a chair.
"Are you here for an interview as well, bro?" a bespectacled young man sitting beside him asked.
"Yeah." Kai nodded.
"Which university did you attend? I know many of the interviewees this time are graduates from renowned universities. Look at that girl in a dress. I heard that she's from Quartz University. Meanwhile, that man with a backpack graduated from Moana University," the young man jabbered with envy written all over his face.
"I attended Bay Coast Business School." Kai flashed him a faint smile.
Taken aback, the young man exclaimed, "You're a graduate from Bay Coast? I really laud your courage for coming here for an interview when you attended that institute! It's even worse than me being from Blue Sky Vocational School!"
The look in the young man's eyes was smug when he gazed at Kai. Finally, I've found someone whose academic qualifications are beneath me!
Kai merely smiled without saying anything.
Right that moment, a young lady in professional attire walked over and said to everyone, "Please hand me your resumes. Later, I'll call you for the interview according to order."
Upon hearing that, everyone swiftly submitted their meticulously-prepared resumes. Only Kai sat there motionlessly.
"Excuse me, sir, but where's your resume?" the young lady inquired when she noticed Kai's inaction.
"I didn't prepare a resume," Kai answered nonchalantly.
A flash of surprise flittered across the young lady's eyes when she heard that, but she then asked, "May I know your name, then? It's so that I know how to address you later."
"My name is Kai Chance," Kai replied.
Nodding, the young lady spun around and walked into the office.
Everyone eyed Kai as though he was an idiot. How could he possibly be recruited when he's wearing such a dated suit and failed to even prepare a resume for the interview?
Only the young man who had been talking to him regarded him strangely. Out of the blue, he whispered, "Do you have connections here, thus going through the back door, bro?"
Kai was startled, at a loss as to why he was asking such a question.
"You must be going through the back door. Otherwise, why wouldn't you have prepared a resume? Also, I could tell at a single glance that the person who brought you here earlier is a high-ranking executive in the office. No wonder you're so calm!" With an ingratiating smile on his face, the young man took out a box of chewing gum from his pocket and offered it to him.
Kai accepted it without hesitation and threw a piece into his mouth.