TGP Chapter 10: Abduction

Start from the beginning

Was it worth it?

Pei Wenxuan fell into deep thought.

His feelings for Li Rong did consist of some affection when he was young, but afterwards, those sentiments faded with time. The two of them hated each other. If there were any sentiments between them, it was because they had known each other for too long, and the other person had long become a part of one another's lives.

They were just that. They were not considered lovers, nor did they count as friends. Risking his life for her was really not Pei Wenxuan's style either. He would be able to help her by alerting Li Chuan, which would be considered fulfilling his fundamental duty.

Pei Wenxuan thought of this and turned his head. He looked at the small bowl on the table and shifted his gaze to the box next to it. This box had two-tiers. He looked at the bottom tier that had not been opened yet. After hesitating for a moment, he pulled the drawer open and was greeted with the sight of gleaming silver taels.

Li Rong mocked him for borrowing a carriage from home earlier, so she must have known about his desperate situation. Although she laughed at him and they had parted ways, she still thought about him and prepared money for his sake.

The gleaming silver taels almost blinded Pei Wenxuan's eyes. Before he could think about it, he shouted, "Tong Ye, stop the carriage!"

Tong Ye heard Pei Wenxuan yell out and stopped the carriage in a hurry and doubtfully asked: "Young Master?"

"Go back now. You run to the Crown Prince's mansion and report that the Princess had an accident. Someone wants to kill the Princess. Have them quickly send people over."

As he spoke, Pei Wenxuan jumped out of the carriage and quickly untied a horse for Tong Ye. He turned around and urged, "Hurry and go, there's no time."

"What about you?"

Tong Ye anxiously said: "The Young Master is not going with this servant?"

"I have to go back to find the Princess."

Pei Wenxuan immediately said: "Don't worry about me, quickly go!"

Tong Ye did not dare to delay. Although he was worried about Pei Wenxuan, he gritted his teeth and rushed back.

Pei Wenxuan looked at the remaining three horses pulling the carriage and jumped onto the carriage. He turned the carriage around and rushed back in the direction of the mansion.

After madly riding for his life for some time, he realized that this still would not be good. If he rushed over to the princess's residence now, the Yang family forces would already be there. Even if he returned, he would not even be able to step foot into the residence.

Based on Li Rong's habits when traveling back then, she must have at least twenty shadow guards by her side that the Empress had personally arranged. Including her maids and servants, it amounted to at least a hundred people.

The number of people from the Yang family earlier were about forty. Those people were extremely fast and had green etched tokens hanging from their waists. According to the Yang family's conventions, the green etched waist tokens should belong to their reinforcements. Forty was typically half the total number of reinforcements with these waist tokens, so there may be nearly a hundred people in the Yang family's ambush.

Given the shadow guards' abilities, Li Rong could at least break out of the besieged residence if she encounters a surprise attack. The most he could help Li Rong with right now is to delay the Yang family's pursuit.

After careful consideration, Pei Wenxuan stopped riding forward. He almost figured out where Li Rong might escape through and turned the carriage around a bit.