Chapter 2

A few hours passed after the enlistment ceremony and you were currently watching Sasha continue to run laps tiredly around the training grounds, barely able to stay conscious at this point as her arms could barely go up and down. You looked up at the dimly lit sky and over to the setting sun to see that it was almost time for chow. You knew now that it was just time for the new cadets to get more settled in to the camp and that they had no other duties tonight. While watching Sasha do her 70th lap around the grounds, you spotted a certain blonde haired person in the distance and this caught your attention. Walking over to the mess hall in her casual clothes, Annie walked alone while fixing her hair into a bun looking at Sasha one more time, you got tired of supervising her.

"Ten more laps and you're done, Braus. Don't pull shit like this again, got it?" You said as Sasha continued to run, leaving you to assume that she heard you as you walked off towards Annie.

"Damn it, where was the mess hall again?" Annie looked around in annoyance before hearing footsteps approach her.

"Looking for something?" You asked as she turned around and grew a surprised look briefly before standing at attention. 

"Instructor Y/N!" Annie stood straight while looking straight ahead at you as you smiled.

"At ease, it's already dinner and there's no duties that you fresh cadets can take on yet." You said as she eased up on her stature and grew a confused look when you turned towards her with a gentle look on your face. "Looking for the mess hall? I can show you. Come with me." You said while walking off.

"Thank you, sir." Annie said as she followed you, but you dropped back a bit to walk beside her. 

"Call me Y/N." You said as this sudden request to call her instructor by his name caught her off guard. "We're the same age, so it feels a bit weird to be always called a Drill Instructor." You said as Annie just remained silent. "So, why are you alone and not with the other cadets? They're all probably having dinner together right now." You asked as she turned her head away from you.

"I'd rather not." Annie replied simply.

"Don't like being around people?" You asked in curiosity.

"Not really." Annie responded straight forwardly.

"I see." You said as the two of you walked in silence as you both approached a building that a loud ruckus was coming from. "Well, here's the mess hall." You said as the talking grew even louder and this made Annie stop briefly as you noticed an unsure look on her face. "Wait here a minute." You said to her.

"Huh?" Annie was confused when you told her to wait as you walked inside the mess hall and closed the door behind you. 

The moment you closed the door, all the talking and ruckus that was going on inside fell silent. Annie was surprised by how quiet the entire area was now when the noise inside stopped, but after waiting a few minutes, you walked back out with two trays of food in your hands. You raised of the trays and gestured it to Annie as she picked up on the signal before walking over and taking it out of your hands. Grabbing the handle of the door with your free hand, you peaked your head back and said a few words that Annie couldn't quite hear properly before you pulled your head out and closed the door. Once the door shut, all the noise and ruckus came back as you walked over to Annie with a smile.

"Mind if I have dinner with you?" You asked her.

"Huh? I-I don't...it's just..." Annie was caught off guard by your request as she turned away. "I usually eat on my own." She said as you smiled.

"It's okay, I won't make a sound. I just wanna eat in silence also, but enjoy the feeling of some company at the same time." You said as Annie just gave you a shrug as you chuckled. "Follow me, I know a spot we can eat at." You said as you led Annie to a different location.