Introduction:

From acute kidney disease to polycystic kidney disease, this book has you covered with the facts! If you or a loved one are struggling with one of the two total conditions, this book will provide you information, as well as comfort and relief.

Did you know that your kidneys have six main functions? They certainly do! Besides filtering toxins out of the body, the kidneys also naturally activate Vitamin D in the body, regulate your body's PH levels, produce tons of hormones, and much, much more. However, if you have kidney disease, these functions are permanently altered...as toxins will build up in your bloodstream, which causes a condition called uremia (more on that later). Let's get down to the nitty gritty of this condition.

What Are The Kidneys?

Your kidneys are two, bean-shaped organs in your lower back on each side of the spine. Their main function is to filter out toxins from the body to make urine, but they also release a hormone called renin, which helps to regulate blood pressure. Here are more functions that the kidneys do listed below:

1. Balance the body's fluids

2. Produce red blood cells

3. Regulate electrolyte concentrations

The three hormones that the kidneys release are erythropoietin (which helps activate the bone marrow in order to make red blood cells), renin, and calcitriol (an active form of Vitamin D to help keep your bones strong). These hormones are produced by the adrenal glands, which are tiny structures on top of the kidney. Adrenal glands not only release adrenaline, but also regulate metabolism and your immune system. They are constructed of two parts--the cortex and the medulla--which are both responsible for releasing different hormones.

Each of your kidneys is constructed by millions and millions of tiny filters, called nephrons. One single nephron is composed of two parts--a glomerulus and a tubule. The glomerulus filters the toxins, while the tubule returns the needed substances to your bloodstream and gets rid of wastes.

What Is Kidney Disease?

Your kidneys function properly most of the time, but if you have kidney disease, the six functions of the renal organs can be permanently or temporarily altered. Kidney disease just means that the renal organs are damaged, and that they cannot filter out blood in a proper manner. There are different stages of kidney disease, such as the following:

1. Stage 1 - With a normal or higher-than-normal GFR (GFR >90 mL/min)

2. Stage 2 - Mild kidney disease (GFR = 60 to 89 mL/min)

3. Stage 3A - Moderate kidney disease (GFR = 45 to 59 mL/min)

4. Stage 3B - Moderate kidney disease (GFR = 30 to 44 mL/min)

5. Stage 4 - Severe kidney disease (GFR = 15 to 29 mL/min)

6. Stage 5 - End Stage Kidney Disease (GFR < 15 mL/min)

GFR is a medical acronym meaning, 'glomerular filtration rate', which measures how well your kidneys filter out toxins from your bloodstream. If you have a GFR that is less than 15, it means you could have end-stage renal disease and I would recommend you see a doctor straightaway or call 9-1-1 immediately.
What are the symptoms of kidney disease?
The symptoms are listed as follows:
1. Lethargy
2. Low urine output
3. Swelling of the hands, arms, legs, and feet.
4. Itching
5. Puffiness around the eyes
6. Shortness of breath
7. Loss of appetite
8. Pain in the lower back
9. Unwanted weight loss
10. Abnormal levels of calcium, Vitamin D, and phosphorus.
11. High blood pressure
12. Abnormal urinalysis results