A Birthday and A Documentary

Start from the beginning

RACHAEL: We thought it was time we got you a real one. Uncle Prince is gonna teach you to play it.

PARIS: Yay!

163: INT. NEVERLAND RANCH (LIVING ROOM) DAY FADE IN:

One month later, May 2002.

MICHAEL: (comes in) Rachael?

RACHAEL: Yeah honey?

MICHAEL: I just got a call from Martin Bashir.

RACHAEL: Martin Bashir... How do I know that name?

MICHAEL: He's a journalist in England.

RACHAEL: Wait a minute, is he the one that did that big interview with Princess Diana?

MICHAEL: Yes, he wants to come to Neverland next week to make a documentary about me.

RACHAEL: Really? What did you say?

MICHAEL: I told him I would think about it and let him know tomorrow. I wanted to see how you felt about it.

RACHAEL: Well how long would it be?

MICHAEL: He said it would be filmed over the span of eight months.

RACHAEL: Eight months??? So we'd have a camera crew following us around every day? What about the kids? You hate having them on camera.

MICHAEL: I know, that's why I wanted to talk to you and the kids first before I said yes to anything. So, how do you feel about it? Be honest.

RACHAEL: I don't know honey, I didn't like the way he portrayed Diana.

MICHAEL: I know, but when am I gonna get another opportunity like this? I've always wanted a real, honest documentary about me. I want to put the rumors to rest, set the record straight.

RACHAEL: I know honey. I think as long as he agrees to portray you in a true and positive light, it sounds like a pretty good opportunity.

MICHAEL: He also mentioned interviewing you and maybe the kids too.

RACHAEL: Well I don't mind being interviewed, but I don't know about the kids.

MICHAEL: Yeah... Let's see how they feel about this. (calls out to them) Prince, Paris. Come here.

PRINCE JR.: (comes in with Paris) What's up dad?

MICHAEL: Daddy has some news. A man named Martin Bashir wants to make a documentary about me. He'd be here for the next eight months. Him and his crew. I wanted to see how you two felt about it.

PRINCE JR.: Cool! Can we be in it?

PARIS: Yeah can we?

MICHAEL: (giggles) Sure, but you have to wear your masks, okay?

PRINCE JR.: Aw, come on dad! Why do we always have to wear those stupid masks?

MICHAEL: Prince, we've talked about this. Daddy's very famous so people with cameras always follow me around. I don't want you kids to be followed and have your privacy invaded like that. Do you understand?

PRINCE JR.: (pouts) Yes dad. (walks away)

MICHAEL: (turns back to Rachael) Well, I guess I can call Martin back. (picks up the phone and dials his number) Hello, Martin? It's Michael. I'd love to do the documentary.

164: INT. NEVERLAND RANCH (LIBRARY) DAY FADE IN:

One week later, Martin Bashir arrives at the ranch.

BILL: Mr. Jackson, there's a Martin Bashir here to see you.

MICHAEL: Oh, send him in!

BILL: (nods)