Chapter One

•• Seasons Change ••

"I am so glad to have you here with us, Asahi."

Three suitcases rest near the door, stuffed with necessities and treasured items. The apartment looked nice and cozy, fit for a small family. A table in the middle of the living room with a small TV. The kitchen was just around the corner. Two bedrooms for the two who stay here, now going to be three. The soft light that casted in the room gave a comforting warmth. This was definitely better than a cold, empty home that had only one resident living in there.

"Make yourself comfortable! I hope you'll feel right at home."

There is no response. Asahi continues to let the situation sink in, his mind in another world. He slowly shrugs off the bag from his shoulder, placing them by his feet. Nostalgia was blooming in his chest, it was kind of bittersweet. Memories of him and his parents stopping by for brunches and dinner. Him and Haruhi would goof around, sometimes it was Haruhi who would get him out of trouble. Both parents would coo about the times they were both toddlers and had their little play dates, as well as the embarrassing baby photos. He couldn't believe they still lived here.

There were plenty of good times, but what goes up must come down. It was saddening for Asahi to leave all that he had ever known, but it was for the best, along with Haruhi's reassuring words that they would visit each other whenever. Then Haruhi's mother passed. With no hesitation, Asahi and his father came down to be there for Ranka and his daughter. They have never seen two people so broken, but being Fujiokas, they pressed on and being as happy as they could be.

When things seemed to be settling down, Asahi's mother went missing. It was a normal day in the fall. His mother went to the restaurant she worked at, his father going to the office, and Asahi going to school. It was a simple routine: His parents would walk to work as Asahi went to school; then he would walk home afterwards; prep for dinner and wait for his family to come home. He saw her that day. He decided to stop by to check on her since the restaurant was close to the school. She was serving dinner to customers, a sweet smile on her face. His father came home at the usual time, but Asahi's mother wasn't home yet.

From assuming it was just a late shift became worried calls to the restaurant. Then it became frantic police calls and printing flyers. Days turned to weeks. Months.

Nothing.

Haruhi called every day once she heard about what happened, she'd always make sure that they were both doing okay. She never failed to make sure that they were taking care of themselves and being healthy. She certainly is something else. He was grateful to have someone like her.

"Asahi, do you like it?"

The boy honestly forgot his surroundings for a moment. He didn't even hear all of dear Ranka's ramblings. Blinking away the fogginess that buzzes in his mind, he looks at the older man and gives a small, meek smile.

"Feeling at home already," he replies. Ranka sighs out in relief and takes a good look at his god son. His black hair certainly gotten much longer the last time he saw him. He's able to put it up in a bun now, his messy bangs framing his face. Putting it down, his hair probably would go a little past his shoulders. He has certainly gotten much taller. For sure he's going to be looking down on little Haruhi for now on. Hooded grey eyes and that iconic smile. A spitting image of his father, Ranka's late best friend. But he did have his mother's nose, along with her wild personality.

His style certainly changed too. Silver septum and bridge piercings. He has more piercings on his ears now. Dangling earrings with his left ear having a couple more upper earrings. White button-up and black pants with a belt and chain accessory dangling on his right. What a total rocker.

    Ranka spotted a couple bracelets on his hand, one of them being a simple black leather strap with a silver plate and engraving on it. It was the one he and Haruhi gave him on one of Asahi's birthdays. A goofy smile grew on the redhead's face. It got even bigger when he saw that Asahi's socks got little dog faces on them.

"Good to hear," Ranka chirps. Asahi sighs and rubs the back of his neck. "Sorry to barge in so suddenly. I was hoping to get my own place so I won't be a bother." Ranka waves him off, "Oh don't you worry about all of that, silly boy. It's no trouble at all. Just settle down and get your bearings." He gestures Asahi to sit down with him at the table. There was a brief silence in the room. Ranka places his hand over the teenager's. His face immediately morphs to a serious one.

"Itsuki lived his best life and wouldn't have asked for more. He would want you to have the best life too. Don't be hard on yourself thinking what could have happened. None of this is your fault. You chose what was best in the situation. Never forget that they loved you, as do I," he promised. He gives a small squeeze to the hand he was holding. The small smile grew bigger on Asahi's face. Silence falls upon on them, but the air is lighter.

"Haruhi isn't here?" Asahi asks, noticing that the brunette didn't make an appearance yet.

"Oh, she's still at school. She usually has club activities after her classes. She's usually home before me." Ranka's aura immediately brightens at the mention of his beloved daughter.

Asahi hums, "So where does she go to school now? I've honestly been so busy I've never thought to ask her."

"Haruhi goes to Ouran Academy."

"Academy? Sounds expensive."

"Oh it is, but dear Haruhi applied for a scholarship and is able to attend," Ranka squeals, wiggling in pride. Asahi chuffs, shaking his head. Typical Haruhi, always one step ahead. Of course she would make it in a prestigious school with a full ride, probably has more brains than anyone in there.

"Maybe I should stop by and see her." Asahi walks to the door and puts his black shoes back on.

   "Will you be okay finding your way?" Ranka calls to him. Without turning back to the older gentleman, Asahi gives the man a thumbs up. "It'll be just fine. I'll be back, Uncle Ranka."

And then he was off.