What Was I Made For?

Start from the beginning

Yours truly,

Lady Whistledown

"I thought it might be a bit on the nose if you called yourself the Diamond," Daphne said and laughed. Lucy sat there in surprise at what she had just read.

"Why am I the Diamond of the season? There are plenty of other ladies who could be Diamond!" She spoke.

"Yes, but none of them are the eldest daughter of a Duke, darling. You're the special one," Daphne responded.

"What about Eleanor? Why can't she be the Diamond?" Lucy asked, slightly worried at the attention she knew she was about to start getting.

"She's the youngest child and a woman, so she won't get the same amount of inheritance as you, or your brother for that matter. Henry is the most desirable in terms of title and inheritance, and you come in second- but you will undoubtedly get just as much attention as him. You don't have a title, but you do have just as much as him" Daphne replied and took another drink of her tea.

Lucy sighed and slumped into her seat, making her friend giggle. She knew her friend was right and that she was technically the most eligible lady participating in the season, but it was a burden that was beginning to weigh on her. After discussing Lady Whistledown's column, they spent as much time together as they could, with Daphne talking to her about Simon and the kids and Lucy explaining everything that had happened with her family since she last left The Ton. Daphne was surprised to learn of Lucy's father's behavior, and offered her unconditional love and support to her friend, which was more comforting than ever. Even that one chat with Daphne left her with a small weight lifted off of her shoulders- at least she had someone to talk to about the situation now who wasn't directly involved in it. However, throughout the friendly catch-up, Lucy found her mind drifting back and forth to Benedict. She was still slightly upset that he had departed so quickly, but she pushed aside that feeling and tried to continue enjoying her first catch-up session with her best friend.

------------------

There was no time to dwell on what had occurred between Benedict and Lucy after that afternoon, because the next couple of days were filled with preparations for the girls debut. They had their dresses from the modiste delivered, elaborate yet demure jewelry imported from different European countries, extra classes on proper etiquette, and not to mention lots of dancing. Lucy and Eleanor took turns practicing with their brother, much to his discontent. Lucy was a fine dancer- Eleanor, however, tended to step on her brother's toes every possible chance she had.

"I wouldn't worry, Ellie. With a face as stunning as yours I'm sure any gentleman would not be offended if you stepped on his toes once or twice" their mother said, trying to cheer her up.

"Or twenty." Henry muttered under his breath. Eleanor stepped on his foot on purpose after that.

"Hey! Im just not sure I'd like to spend the next few weeks with a walking stick- I have much to do, you know" He added in frustration.

"Im sure you do. Watching boxing matches must be really taxing on your feet." Eleanor added sarcastically.

"I'll have you know-" Henry began, before he was abruptly cut off by another voice in the room.

"I think we should give the dancing a rest for the day, don't you think, mama?" Lucy asked.

"Yes, dear, I think that would be wise" her mother replied. Henry glared at her.

Soon enough, the time came for the girls to be presented at court for the first time. Lucy awoke that morning with a pit of fear in her stomach. She had noticed that over the past few weeks, she had been garnering more attention from people than usual. No doubt, it had something to do with Lady Whistledown's column about her and her siblings. Everywhere she went, the ravenous eyes of men and women followed her.