Chapter 33- Flirting with 'violent wife'

Before Vit could decide either to stay or leave, he was pulled into a queue. He realised that all the unattached men and women had been lined up facing each other. He was facing some young girl who was batting her eyelids at the man standing on his left. Going by the way they were gesturing he knew some serious flirting was going on. Not wanting to be a part of it, he offered to exchange places with the guy and the organizer caught him and he was given a truth or dare task.

Vit wriggled out of the situation by sharing one of the many incidents Param had with bad hygiene. He shared how he caught Param and friends on vacation with one inch of mud all over their bodies. They had challenged each other on who can survive without a bath for the longest time. The forced bath broke a 10-day streak! Param responded by saying that he will take revenge! The organizer allowed Vit to be the wild card in the game in view of the juicy information he provided. Vit took a position where he could see most of the contestants.

The game was of people flirting with each other using couplets. The boy and the girl would say a couplet to the one they faced and the winner can ask for a favor.

Boy --- 'Aap itni garmi main itna khoobsurat na dikho; koi Ac main na band kar le'

You should not look so hot in this summer, someone might lock you in AC room.

'Girl--- Koi hume block kare ya hume lock kare; hum to ussi ke hain jo dil pe knock kare'

Someone may block me, someone may lock me, but I will be with the one who knocks on my heart

These events were the only place where girls and boys could flirt without caring what elders would think. Vit, being the old fashioned fellow that he was, was thinking how trite all this was and wanted to make an exit citing the nonsense of this exercise for him. But what stopped him from taking that route was the way Rukma was enjoying the attention from Rahul!! Rahul was the person placed across from her and she was laughing and smiling at all that he was saying to her. This time around he was sure he wanted to wring Rahul's neck.

Rahul : Ye jo aapke gale ka haar hai; hum usse dil haar gaye ( This necklace you are wearing, My heart has lost to it)

Rukma: Kyun (why?)

Rahul : Wo aapke dil ke kareeb pahunch gaya aur hum yahin khade reh gaye ( It has reached your heart and I have been left standing here)

Rukma was laughing but Aditi's gaze was fixed on Vit. He looked like there would be smoke coming from his ears.

Rukma : Haseenon ke paas aane ka bahut harzana hota hai, aap door hi bhale (It is very costly to come close to beautiful women, you are better off away)

Sensing that the situation was getting interesting, the organizer jumped in and said that Rukma won the conversation, until and unless someone else was ready to challenge her. Vit who had been fuming at the entire situation took this as a chance and walked in. Rukma, Aditi and Param were all shocked at this behavior.

Param narrowed his eyes, 'Boss you sure are behaving weird on my roka.'

Vit smiled at him, 'Consider all the entertainment to be the special gift on the occasion.'

Laughter was all around and Vit turned to Rukma. She had taken those few minutes to compose herself.

Vit: Harzana to hum denge hi chand ko aasman se jo laana hai (We will pay the cost as we want to bring Moon from the sky)

Rukma: Chaand to thanda hai magar taaron main to aag hai; Chand ko paane main tarron se jal jayenge (Moon is cool but stars are hot; do not burn yourself trying to catch the moon)

Vit: Aag se darr kisse? Ye ishq nahi aasan, bus itna samajh lijiye ek aag ka dariya hai aur doob ke jaana hai (Who is scared of fire? This love is not easy, just understand it to be an ocean of fire and you have to drown to pass it)

Param and Aditi were shocked at hearing Vit spouting Ghalib at a gathering. Rukma tried not to show any emotions. Organizer, however was a lover of Ghalib and his poetry and he immediately jumped in favor of Vit.

'Ghalib, errr what is your name wins the game. You can ask her for a task.'

'Well the name is Vit and the task is to dance with me.'

'Awesome, do you have a problem?' Organizer asked Rukma, when she shook her head, he asked for music. What played was not a high energy dance song but a passionate romantic number.

Pehli nazar main kaise jadoo kar diya (The first glimpse has been magic)

Tera ban baitha hai mera jiya (My heart has become yours)
Jaane kya hoga Kya hoga kya pata (Who knows what will happen)
Is pal ko milke Aa jee le zara (Let us live this moment)
Mein hoon yahan Tu hai yahan (You and I are both here)
Meri bahon mein aa Aa bhi ja (Come into my arms)
O jaan-e-jaan  Dono jahan (O my love, the two worlds)
Meri bahon mein aa Bhool Ja aa (Come into my arms and forget the two worlds)

Rukma was forced to waltz in Vit's arms. Each step was a torture to understand how much they could allow themselves to feel or come close. When Vit twirled her for the last two lines of the song, Rukma was in a different world and when she stopped in his arms. It took them both a minute to realize that they were holding close even after the music had stopped and the teasing had started in the audience.

 It took them both a minute to realize that they were holding close even after the music had stopped and the teasing had started in the audience

'They have really forgotten the two worlds.'

<<laughter>>

'Get the second mandap (stage for marriage ceremonies) ready.'

<<even more laughter>>

'Find a room for them.'

<<even more laughter>>

While an embarrassed Rukma moved straight away towards Aditi, both Aditi and Jai had a tough time hiding their smiles. Vit took a few more seconds to start moving but by then Param had dragged Vanya onto the dance floor.

'Boss I will not let you steal the thunder this time.' he told Vit.

'Then I will stand here and cheer you.' Vit responded with a smile.

Dehleez pe mere dil ki  (At the entrance of my heart)
Jo rakhe hain tune kadam  (As you have stepped in)
Tere naam pe meri zindagi  (My life on your name)
Likh di mere humdum  (I have written, my love)

Param and Vanya did a slow dance with the entire gathering cheering them on. It was the high point of the event and then everyone shifted focus towards food area.

===============================================================================

Author's Note- This is the first time that Vit is showing interest in Rukma publicly. Please share your comments and suggestions on the story.